Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Metal in Oil at 50k Miles

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
2022 Ford Explorer ST with 50k Miles. I change the oil every 6,000 miles with 5w-30 Mobil One Full Synthetic (About 6.3 Qt). Doesn't burn oil. Check the dipsticks every 2 weeks.

Found some oil in the filter and drain pan (See pictures below)

Engine sound normal for a Ecoboost. Still making power.

Going to check the oil filter Monday after work check for any metal.

20240817_093021.jpg

20240817_093104.jpg

20240817_093158.jpg

Attachments

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
That doesn’t look good.
I would take it to the dealership since you are still under the power train warranty along with the old filter and pictures.
Curious to what they say.
Also take an oil sample to them with the metal shavings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Stone17
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
That doesn’t look good.
I would take it to the dealership since you are still under the power train warranty along with the old filter and pictures.
Curious to what they say.
Also take an oil sample to them with the metal shavings.

Talked to the Dealer Service, said there not much they can do right now. I guess just wait still she blow up.

Check the filter at 80 miles. No metal in the filter.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Get an oil analysis NOW
Get it documented if something is amiss
That's a big chunk
Blackstone lab

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Talked to the Dealer Service, said there not much they can do right now. I guess just wait still she blow up.

Check the filter at 80 miles. No metal in the filter.
Of course dealership would say that!
I would take it to another dealership.
Anything to get out of doing warranty work.
At least it’s documented by taking it to them.
Definitely get an oil analysis done so you have more proof just in case Ford decides you’re out of warranty when you hit 60k.
That chunk of metal is pretty big and definitely a sign that motor is heading south.
Keep on them.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Get an oil analysis NOW
That's a big chunk
Blackstone lab
When I ran a high performance shop we used to send them samples from the same truck…about 1/4 of the time they would come back different. I don’t trust them at all.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Lots of doom and gloom…and what’s in your filter isn’t all that abnormal. Big chunks are usually casting flash or something else that didn’t get cleaned out and the filter did its job and caught it. “Glitter” is what you worry about. Bearings don’t normally break up in big chunks…they turn into glitter and you’ll see the gold looking particles then you need to worry.

OP
Stone17
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Get an oil analysis NOW
That's a big chunk
Blackstone lab
I have a kit on order. Should be here in 1 to 2 weeks.

OP
Stone17
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Lots of doom and gloom…and what’s in your filter isn’t all that abnormal. Big chunks are usually casting flash or something else that didn’t get cleaned out and the filter did its job and caught it. “Glitter” is what you worry about. Bearings don’t normally break up in big chunks…they turn into glitter and you’ll see the gold looking particles then you need to worry.
I hope its casting flashing. Going to keep an eye one the oil filter and change the oil at 2,000k miles.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I will rebuff
How many miles on car
50k? Flashing should have been long gone. Unless something changed inside,

Casting flash or not.
Chunks are not good, and no I did not say it's bearings

Imo chunks create blockages down stream and this reduces oil volume and or pressures to bearings and the like.

I used OA on my superduties for long time, for extended oil changes

We use it in aviation religiously.
Lab techs can mess about and ruin results,but quality labs don't.

And yes it's pricey compared to rolling out 6 quarts and filter every 5k miles.
But seeing wear metals increase in samples is a great indicator of issues.. etc, sampling a street car maybe every 3rd oil change won't hurt, except your wallet.
1 to 2 weeks is long time for a sample jar
I would drain oil, put in fresh filter, replace oil, snd look close at the removed filter. Maybe it was a piece that was an outlyer...

Drsobczakst

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
So the 3.0 turbos have been know to "come apart" internally and take out motors. I have a friend that was a service advisor at ford before covid and he told me it was an issue in the earlier days of the 3.0 in the explorer. I would ask the question if you turbos are going out.... Im not 100% sure what the deal was back then but from what i remember there was an oiling issue and the shaft seals were letting go and the material was entering the oiling system and causing breakdown. I think it was eating the oil pumps if I think about it.

I will say this,
Silver material is and issue for sure, copper or brass looking material is kinda normal. we see it all the time in our race car (1990 Foxbody twin turbo, Small block ford 398 making 2000hp)

I would take it to another dealer and get a second look. I would also look into a compression test as well to see if any of the holes are down. If everything checks out, you know its not rings, pistons or valves.

OP
Stone17
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Checked the oil pressure with Forscan.

16 PSI at idle
Jump up to 60 PSI reving the engine up.

Explorer ST Posts