Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New member with 2020 question

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford ST black street package
Very appreciative to have discovered this forum and the wealth of knowledge within. 20+ year Ford fan. Just picked up our first ST last week. 2020 ST street pack in agate/metallic black. One owner older couple who only put 27k on the odometer. Looks, drives and feels like a new car. Found out today I got lucky, the differential is a four bolt. I did purchase a four year bumper to bumper extended warranty. My question is, should I be on the lookout for any other issues with a 2020? Seems like that year of manufacture gets bashed a lot. I’m hoping with the four bolt it was built before the Covid problems. Thanks in advance for any input!

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Welcome and congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
You can read through this forum and find almost all issues you may encounter. Some have had no issues and some probably have had all. You should be okay if your warranty has as close to a $0 deductible as you could get. If you bought it from a dealer and they did a thorough inspection, you should be good for awhile as most of the issues would have surfaced by now, such as leaks, torn cv boots, bad catalytic converters and flex pipes, and codes lighting up the dash.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
You can read through this forum and find almost all issues you may encounter. Some have had no issues and some probably have had all. You should be okay if your warranty has as close to a $0 deductible as you could get. If you bought it from a dealer and they did a thorough inspection, you should be good for awhile as most of the issues would have surfaced by now, such as leaks, torn cv boots, bad catalytic converters and flex pipes, and codes lighting up the dash.
Fingers crossed I’m in the clear by this point. Owned a 2017 platinum before this and it’s like a complete different model. Love it.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Very appreciative to have discovered this forum and the wealth of knowledge within. 20+ year Ford fan. Just picked up our first ST last week. 2020 ST street pack in agate/metallic black. One owner older couple who only put 27k on the odometer. Looks, drives and feels like a new car. Found out today I got lucky, the differential is a four bolt. I did purchase a four year bumper to bumper extended warranty. My question is, should I be on the lookout for any other issues with a 2020? Seems like that year of manufacture gets bashed a lot. I’m hoping with the four bolt it was built before the Covid problems. Thanks in advance for any input!
Congrats and welcome! Any issues that could pop up would be very apparent. Common issues like AWD MODULE (lots of codes), front diff leak, front diff actuator (drivetrain related codes), cat converter crack (smell), flex pipe rattle, and those are really the only major ones.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Congrats and welcome! Any issues that could pop up would be very apparent. Common issues like AWD MODULE (lots of codes), front diff leak, front diff actuator (drivetrain related codes), cat converter crack (smell), flex pipe rattle, and those are really the only major ones.
Thanks for the info. Good to know there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Welcome to the forum! I also have a 2020 and the only issues I had so far were the dreaded speed sensor and AWD module. It's likely those issues may have already surfaced and been fixed though.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Welcome! I have been pretty fortunate as mine has been limited to exhaust issues mainly. I did have a leak at the trans cooler which had to be replaced but it was warranty work. I have heard of the transmissions being low on fluid causing shifting issues. That’s how I found my leak.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Congrats and welcome.