Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

OBDII Data on the touch screen

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I was switching between apps on Android Auto on the way home from work and I noticed the OBDII app I have installed on my phone is now available on AA. It's not the prettiest, the app doesn't support gauges like it does on the app itself, but if you have it set up on the phone it will display it on the screen in text. The app is Car Scanner ELM OBD2. It's part of the app store Play Pass thing which I get for free through Verizon Wireless, so I'm not sure if it's watered down if you don't have Play Pass. Sure would be nice to have some more real estate on the screen....

20240909_174335.jpg

Reactions
Usually my go to app is Torque followed by OBD Link, never checked if they're on AA though.

Thanks for the info tho OP, will check it out

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Usually my go to app is Torque followed by OBD Link, never checked if they're on AA though.

Thanks for the info tho OP, will check it out
As far as I know the only other app that natively supports AA is OBD Fusion. There is a plugin you can download that will allow you to run Torque Pro on AA, but if your phone is Running Android 14 it will only work if you're using the AA Wireless adapter.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
It also has other options, Connection which I assume allows you to connect the app to the OBD2 adapter, and Acceleration which times your various 0 to XX times based on the ECU. 20240910_084413.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST 400a
This works fine too. Tried it today on my ‘25 ST.

https://a.co/d/84x6VkO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
The adapter is android auto compatible?
Didn’t I just say that?
Its bluetooth. Ill take a photo later.

Reactions
Vehicle
Via Carplay 2025 Explorer ST Android Auto

Drweldin

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Can someone expand on how this works, other than the obvious? Other than the phone App it sounds like there is a wireless adapter needed? I assume for the OBD port? This looks nice, any links on how to set it up?

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Via Carplay 2025 Explorer ST Android Auto

I think that's the same app, the icon looks the same, but the app itself looks different/better on the updated UI.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Can someone expand on how this works, other than the obvious? Other than the phone App it sounds like there is a wireless adapter needed? I assume for the OBD port? This looks nice, any links on how to set it up?
The app, the only two I know of that are AA compatible are Car Scanner ELM OBD2 and OBD Fusion. The one I'm using is Car Scanner ELM OBD2.
Then you need an OBDII bluetooth adapter to pair with your phone, and connect the app to.
Then you need to connect your phone via Android Auto. For 2020 - 2024 you'll need to plug your phone in for AA to work obviously.

Reactions
This works fine too. Tried it today on my ‘25 ST.

https://a.co/d/84x6VkO

Just about any OBD Dongle works for any car including the Explorer. Only reason to get this Dongle is to use it with FORScan or other more intensive apps on different cars.

Reactions
Vehicle
The link is posted above message 5

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
The link is posted above message 5

You don't need that overpriced adapter for this application. You post also left out the app you're using which I don't know why you keep doing that.

Reactions
Vehicle
You don't need that overpriced adapter for this application. You post also left out the app you're using which I don't know why you keep doing that.
Normally I use the ap that comes with it or Forscan Lite. But the app didn't need to be loaded on my phone.
As for expensive, I've been working with forscan for years. After I got bored with the mx, I delved into the Mongoose and I use FDRS as well. I use the MX just for checking errors and such on the go with Forscan Lite.
Otherwise, the app that comes with it has a nice dashboard interface with tach, speed, voltage, etc on the ios.
I don't use the ELM one you use, but it still came up under aps.