Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil change intervals,mileage vs oil life gage

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
Looked around forum didn’t find the answer,but if I missed it sorry . Anyways I’m going to change at 5000 miles which I think is fairly conservative for my rough service ( towing ) .taking notice of oil life screen wondering what parameters does the ecu read to show that value, I always assumed run hours ? I will Go with mileage for life of ownership but want to watch any and all . On a slightly different note ,does anybody watch lake speed jr. You tube channel “the motor oil geek” ? Lots of very detailed oil analysis, I had a couple semesters of petrochemical study way way back in college (1970s) the level of detail he goes in to makes my head spin ! Thanks in advance.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I change every 5k. Cheap insurance. Turbos are hard on oil. I ran a few oil samples early on. Looks like I could run 7-8k intervals if I wanted to but again cheap insurance. Usually at 30-40% oil life. Pretty sure you could run it down to 5-0% safely running full synthetic without major issues.

I’m sure the oil life algorithm takes a lot of things into account to guess a good mileage to change. Guessing thinks like cold starts, how hard you get on it, how much idling, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer ST Posts