Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power error after Intercooler Install

BigST22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’ve owned 2022 Explorer ST for a couple years, stock, and problem free. Today, I unplugged the battery, and installed the CVFabrications Intercooler. I removed the grill shutters. Took my time putting everything back together. I thought I connected, and tightened everything well. Upon initial startup, I got 2 codes: Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power, and Pre-Collision Assist not available. Drove down the block and power was clearly choppy. Annoyed I spent a day doing install only to have major new issues. Any ideas?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ideas? Yep…they’re self induced issues.
Go back through every plug and check not only that they’re tight and locked in but make sure you didn’t push a pin out of place. Find that issue and you’ll fix your issue.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yes, you failed to mate all the connectors you disconnected. There are several.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
They've all said it. I had this problem with my Fusion Sport. Did a quick test drive after installing FMIC before putting the bumper back on. Make sure boost didn't pop a pipe off. Put it all back together and everything turned off right away except one. I forgot a temp sensor that made the system go crazy.

It can be something super easy. I did a test startup with this car as well and went super slow on reinstalling to make sure I didn't miss anything this time. Just work backwards and double check. You'll find the plug you missed.

Reactions
Vehicle
(2) 2021 Explorer ST (White & Carbonized Grey)
I’ve owned 2022 Explorer ST for a couple years, stock, and problem free. Today, I unplugged the battery, and installed the CVFabrications Intercooler. I removed the grill shutters. Took my time putting everything back together. I thought I connected, and tightened everything well. Upon initial startup, I got 2 codes: Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power, and Pre-Collision Assist not available. Drove down the block and power was clearly choppy. Annoyed I spent a day doing install only to have major new issues. Any ideas?
Did you find the problem? I finally installed my intercooler, aFe intake, and FenFab charge pipe today, but now I'm having the same issues you described. I'll go through and check it all again tomorrow either way.

Reactions
Vehicle
(2) 2021 Explorer ST (White & Carbonized Grey)
Did you find the problem? I finally installed my intercooler, aFe intake, and FenFab charge pipe today, but now I'm having the same issues you described. I'll go through and check it all again tomorrow either way.
I'd missed the large connector at lower driver side, no more limp mode but it definitely needs a new tune. I also have a park assist failure now, even after double-checking both sides. It had been acting up for a while so I may just leave it.

OP
BigST22

BigST22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I just took apart and slowly reassembled. I had missed the small clip on the Intercooler sensor, dumb. No more Powertrain Malfunction or front sensor code, ST seems to run just fine on short test drive, although I have new codes:
P007D
P0128
P0238
P05a1
I did remove most of the shutters
U0253

Not sure what to do at this point.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I didn’t look up those codes, but you can turn off the shutter notices and other codes in the tune file.

OP
BigST22

BigST22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I sent codes to GooseTuned and will see if it simply a matter of clearing those codes.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I sent codes to GooseTuned and will see if it simply a matter of clearing those codes.
Yep, Goose will get it sorted out for you for sure.

OP
BigST22

BigST22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Interesting thing happened. Drove the car twice more, and the check engine light and codes now cleared. Seems we’re all good to go, time to throw on the tune!