Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear Axle Seal Leak

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
I have a weeping rear axle seal. 81,000 miles. Is there a known procedure to remove a rear axle without requiring an alignment or replacing the torque to yield bolts?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
is this on the driver's side? Did you have the rear diff mount replaced recently?

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #3
Passenger side. Rear Diff bushing was updated in April or May this year.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I only asked because if the driver's side, it may be related to the bushing replacement.

It is really up to you if you want to replace all the one-time-use bolts and axle nut. I would imagine the process would be similar to how we would do a rear spring change except you dont touch the spring:. remove shock, disconnect sway bar link, disconnect upper control arm from knuckle... should allow you to tilt down the knuckle for axle removal. However, the service manual calls for removing the entire knuckle. And I hope it just needs a new seal and not a sign the diff carrier bearing is failing.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #5
I only asked because if the driver's side, it may be related to the bushing replacement.

It is really up to you if you want to replace all the one-time-use bolts and axle nut. I would imagine the process would be similar to how we would do a rear spring change except you dont touch the spring:. remove shock, disconnect sway bar link, disconnect upper control arm from knuckle... should allow you to tilt down the knuckle for axle removal. However, the service manual calls for removing the entire knuckle. And I hope it just needs a new seal and not a sign the diff carrier bearing is failing.

I hope it's not a bearing going bad as well. I've had this thing in several times for rear axle clunking though, so could I'm going is a torn seal from the 2-3 sets of rear axle replacements.

Are you a Ford technician?

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #7
No, sorry.

2022? Still under warranty?
No, sorry.

2022? Still under warranty?
Negative. 81,000 miles. I did check my paperwork and It was April 2024 the dealer replaced all the axle seals and circlips to do the bushing recall. Maybe they will step up and fix their work. However I am doubtful they have a monopoly on my area and are known for poor customer service.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Negative. 81,000 miles. I did check my paperwork and It was April 2024 the dealer replaced all the axle seals and circlips to do the bushing recall. Maybe they will step up and fix their work. However I am doubtful they have a monopoly on my area and are known for poor customer service.
the technical sheet for the bushing change only calls for the drivers side axle to be removed and it’s seal to be replaced. But if your work order says they had replaced the passenger side too, then you have a good argument that it may be a reinstallation issue and get it comp’d.