Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear Lift Gate will not open.... at all

TDavies

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hello peeps... new to the group. I've been scouring the page for a few weeks now & can't seem to find this issue.

2020ST bought last fall. In the past month or so. The lift gate has completely stopped working. The button in the cab doesn't work, the fob doesn't work, the button on the hatch doesn't work, the foot swipe doesn't work. I've disabled and re-enabled the hatch with the sync system. I've pulled the fuse to reset it & it'll work once or twice. I've also disconnected the battery to fully reset the vehicle; again it'll work once or twice.

*is there a manual bypass of some kind to open the hatch?
*is there an actual fix that anyone is aware of?

Any suggestions or assisstance is very much appreciated !!!

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Hello peeps... new to the group. I've been scouring the page for a few weeks now & can't seem to find this issue.

2020ST bought last fall. In the past month or so. The lift gate has completely stopped working. The button in the cab doesn't work, the fob doesn't work, the button on the hatch doesn't work, the foot swipe doesn't work. I've disabled and re-enabled the hatch with the sync system. I've pulled the fuse to reset it & it'll work once or twice. I've also disconnected the battery to fully reset the vehicle; again it'll work once or twice.

I am not sure about any fixes but I do know there is no manual release for the hatch lock. Coincidentally @UNBROKEN was recently talking about what would happen if the hatch lock was unable to work.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Welcome and good luck finding a solution.

travish325

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Had an issue similar to this, you can check my posts to see what all I did. Ended up being one of the lift actuators/struts was bound out and preventing the system from working properly.

There is no manual operation to open it, even with the switch disabled and manually moving the lift gate the latch to unlock and lock it is still controlled by the switch. If nothing at all is working or responding I would start by checking your fuses, it could be the latch mechanism not releasing as well.