Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rebuilding salvage front end

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer st
Hey I got a 2020 st that is pretty much new. 15,000kms. It hit a pole right in the middle and has front end damage. Bumper, hood, k frame, rad support, rad and intercooler

I thought about replacing everything oem but I am thinking of going with performance upgrades. I am putting money in to fix it up, figured why not upgrade. It will be daily driver running around the city. Probably highway driving as well. What is best bang for buck. What are some recommendations for upgrades and if anything else I should consider aftermarket instead of oem?

Intercooler
cold air intake
It's not damaged but will likely do an exhaust upgrade.

Also considering the raptor hood and bumper. Any reviews on them?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Welcome! Let’s see the project. Everyone likes a build thread!

Intercooler is a no brainer. Great drivability and leaves you open for upgrades down the road. Plenty of options through Mishimoto, whipple, etc.

Unless you’re going big power with bigger turbos, intake and/or piping is just for bragging and engine bay appeal.

Exhaust is so objective you’ll have to research here for peoples takes on diff ones for drone, cabin noise, etc.

Jetiemann

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I agree with the post above. Intercooler is a no brainer. FenFab hot and cold side piping if any of it is damaged. Have to take into consideration what your end goal is. Buy once, Cry Once.
Just depends on how much money you want to put into it. I'm a fan of the raptor hood more than the bumper.

Youre not going to get any performance gains from intake or exhaust without bigger turbos, but i hear downpipes and 3" Thermal exhaust is the way to go.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey I got a 2020 st that is pretty much new. 15,000kms. It hit a pole right in the middle and has front end damage. Bumper, hood, k frame, rad support, rad and intercooler

I thought about replacing everything oem but I am thinking of going with performance upgrades. I am putting money in to fix it up, figured why not upgrade. It will be daily driver running around the city. Probably highway driving as well. What is best bang for buck. What are some recommendations for upgrades and if anything else I should consider aftermarket instead of oem?

Intercooler
cold air intake

Welcome.

Intercooler, downpipes.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150

Intercooler
cold air intake

Intercooler is the best bang for buck. CAI and exhaust do nothing for power, but the Thermal Exhaust sounds the best. I-5 Autohaus produces good stuff it seems, although I’m not a fan of the front bumper, the hood looks really good. Here’s my modding guide that should help you with your car:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/explorer-st-modding-101-guide.7324/

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Welcome! Let’s see the project. Everyone likes a build thread!

Intercooler is a no brainer. Great drivability and leaves you open for upgrades down the road. Plenty of options through Mishimoto, whipple, etc.

Unless you’re going big power with bigger turbos, intake and/or piping is just for bragging and engine bay appeal.

Exhaust is so objective you’ll have to research here for peoples takes on diff ones for drone, cabin noise, etc.
With the right tune charge pipes have been shown to game some gains.

Jetiemann

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
With the right tune charge pipes have been shown to game some gains.
What kind of gains? Enough to be worth it? (I understand that is subjective)

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
What kind of gains? Enough to be worth it? (I understand that is subjective)
It really depends. I would do them, I think people have gained .4 seconds in the quarter mile, but it really depends on your budget. .4 seconds can be a lot or not really noticeable to some people.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
I agree with the post above. Intercooler is a no brainer. FenFab hot and cold side piping if any of it is damaged. Have to take into consideration what your end goal is. Buy once, Cry Once.
Just depends on how much money you want to put into it. I'm a fan of the raptor hood more than the bumper.

Youre not going to get any performance gains from intake or exhaust without bigger turbos, but i hear downpipes and 3" Thermal exhaust is the way to go.
I gained 13whp when I went to H pipe to 3 inch straight pipe.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
I gained 13whp when I went to H pipe to 3 inch straight pipe.
I find this interesting. I wouldn’t think this is true. straight pipes usually show no gain and sound horrible IMO doing it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Less restrictions on air flow are going to help the turbos, especially upgraded/higher performing turbos, they are loud and obnoxious, I did it for performance gains, which is 100% factual, turbos create more power when they can breathe better… leas restrictions (resonators /mufflers)not even gonna tell you what my ST makes in whp if you can’t believe this simple fact…

Bigal2001

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I wouldn't upgrade the intake tubes, there should be a lot of owners that have all those parts laying around and probably get at a great price. Intercooler, downpipes and tune would help the most with performance.

Explorer ST Posts