Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recall: #24S55 ENGINE VALVE INSPECTION

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Its in the advanced notice stage, meaning they aren't fixing them yet. I've attached the full recall notice.

Attachments

Polizi212

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
wonder what the difference is in the 3.0 engine in my ST than a 2021?

Reactions
According to the build dates I’m a few months after the October 2021 cutoff. Hoping it stays that way and they don’t extend it to 2022 build dates.

I’ve beat on mine quite a bit so I’m hoping I’m good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Received the official Engine Valve Fracture recall for my 3.0L '21 Platinum on Oct 3rd.
24S55/24V635 - Loss of motive power can increase the risk of a crash.
Noted that the remedy is not available until Q1 2025.
Build date was Sept 7th 2021
:(

Reactions
I believe the "check" or the "test" method is that the dealer will revv the piss out of your engine several times and for different durations to see if it grenades. FOCK THAT. I wouldnt take your vehicle in for this unless it grenades on its own or shown signs of a failing valve(s). There's an official recall so I believe you are covered for this for a looooong time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST
I believe the "check" or the "test" method is that the dealer will revv the piss out of your engine several times and for different durations to see if it grenades. FOCK THAT. I wouldnt take your vehicle in for this unless it grenades on its own or shown signs of a failing valve(s). There's an official recall so I believe you are covered for this for a looooong time.
That would not be smart because then if your motor grenades they would just get you for ignoring the recall notice. What they would probably do is use a Borescope or whatever they call it to look at the valves or maybe even pull the heads off? I don’t know I’m not a mechanic by any means but I highly doubt they would just rev your engine to check for failing valves or just differentiating values, also if they blow it up while it’s in the shop then they have to replace it and you get a whole new motor, that seems like a win to me. I have a 2025 so hopefully I don’t have to worry about this, but good luck to all of you that do.

Reactions
That would not be smart because then if your motor grenades they would just get you for ignoring the recall notice. What they would probably do is use a Borescope or whatever they call it to look at the valves or maybe even pull the heads off? I don’t know I’m not a mechanic by any means but I highly doubt they would just rev your engine to check for failing valves or just differentiating values, also if they blow it up while it’s in the shop then they have to replace it and you get a whole new motor, that seems like a win to me. I have a 2025 so hopefully I don’t have to worry about this, but good luck to all of you that do.
You must be getting those certified letters of recalls so they are sure you got it. Also, they are not bore scoping or removing heads for the inspection process of engines involved in the recall that are not showing prevelant signs of the valve issue. I already relayed what they are doing. To each is their own but if I had one of these recall letters and my enngine seemed fine, I wouldn't be taking my vehicle in for them to abuse the hell out of it to see if it will grenade. If the dealer saw or knew of any of us treating our engines like they do in the test, I'm sure all engine warranties would be out the window. Agree or disagree, this is only my $.02 on the issue. I am not a part of this recall so I am not affected.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Engine intake valve recall 24S55 | Explorer ST Forum

The test will determine the engine's "cumulative number of engine cycles."

"For vehicles that do not meet the engine cycle threshold, dealers will accumulate high revolutions per minute (rpm) engine cycles per a service procedure. Engines will be replaced on vehicles that do not pass the engine cycle accumulation." — Ford

2022 Explorers should not be affected since production of those began the second week of NOVEMBER 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Received the official Engine Valve Fracture recall for my 3.0L '21 Platinum on Oct 3rd.
24S55/24V635 - Loss of motive power can increase the risk of a crash.
Noted that the remedy is not available until Q1 2025.
Build date was Sept 7th 2021
:(
I’m some date in September 2021. No letter received yet. So, both our vehicles (Exploder ST and the wife’s EcoSport) are at risk of the engines bricking. :oops: