Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recommended First Upgrades

Crash1311

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hello,

I was going to do the typical exhaust and intake like I would start on all my vehicles. Then after seeing the prices of those items, I'm tempted to do an intercooler, down pipes, and tune to start. Just run everything else factory for now. This is my first Explorer ST, so looking out to the community for their recommendations before I start buying things.

UPDATE:

I got into it a little more than i initially expected haha Here is what's going on in the next few weeks:

FebFab Charge Pipe w/ Tial BOV
Cobb Accessport Tune
CVF Intercooler
IDSpeed Rear Diff Brace
CVF catted downpipes
J&L Oil Separator
Thermal R&D 3inch
Eibach Pro-Kit springs
Eibach 30MM spacers
AFE rear sway bar

Last edited:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That would be a good start. I would recommend a differential brace also. Either AWR, Steeda or ID Speed.

OP
C

Crash1311

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
That would be a good start. I would recommend a differential brace also. Either AWR, Steeda or ID Speed.
Alright cool thank you!

OP
C

Crash1311

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
What do you think about starting with this?

Attachments

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Hello,

I was going to do the typical exhaust and intake like I would start on all my vehicles. Then after seeing the prices of those items, I'm tempted to do an intercooler, down pipes, and tune to start. Just run everything else factory for now. This is my first Explorer ST, so looking out to the community for their recommendations before I start buying things.
Exactly the best first upgrades. Also might want to add hot and cold side charge pipes and you’ll have the perfect power list. Exhaust and intake are just for sound and looks anyway, they don’t provide any power.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
What do you think about starting with this?
First off, get the CV-Fab intercooler. It’s almost $400 cheaper and performs just as well as the Steeda unit. Second, don’t get the Steeda brace, the ID-Speed unit is far superior and won’t break its mounting bolts like the Steeda loves to do.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
If you are planning on getting a tune, ZFG offers their Stage 1 package which includes the RTD, tunes, 4 credits and an intercooler all for $1,659.94. I opted for the CVF Intercooler and the DMS tunes so I paid a little more.

OP
C

Crash1311

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Alright sweet thank you

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
To those who installed a CVF Intercooler. How hard did you have to push the Map Sensor piece to get it all the way in? I pushed kinda hard but not too hard cause I don’t wanna break it. It doesn’t want to go past the little oring.

Last edited:

Coffeehouse

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
If you’re not particular to the Steeda diff braces you can find other brands for a couple hundred less.

OP
C

Crash1311

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
If you’re not particular to the Steeda diff braces you can find other brands for a couple hundred less.
I went with ID speed

Coffeehouse

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
@Crash1311 Might be overkill now? but Steeda is also making an Extreme Differential Bolt Kit. It upgrades the factory grade 10.9 to 12.9. New Steeda video here: Steeda Explorer Extreme Differential Bolt Kit - Single & Dual (youtube.com)
Houston Speed Freaks and Whoosh Motorsports has those out long before Steeda jumped on the band wagon. Should support the two small business owners instead of Steedas item.

Coffeehouse

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Houston Speed Freaks and Whoosh Motorsports has those out long before Steeda jumped on the band wagon. Should support the two small business owners instead of Steedas item.
Fair point. I enjoy watching HSF - was actually shopping for the Milwaukee 1/2 inch impact today - and they still don't sponsor him :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Steeda or Fenfab Subframe Bushing Inserts. That is a cheap, easy must-do. And JXB Diff Bushing Insert while you're back there.

Coffeehouse

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Steeda or Fenfab Subframe Bushing Inserts. That is a cheap, easy must-do. And JXB Diff Bushing Insert while you're back there.
Just saw their vid on this last night. I was disappointed at the end when he said, If you're not at the track, it's not necessary :D I think peace-of-mind and the reduced wear and tear on the system as a whole is still worth the investment. Plus...if you're like me and new to modding, this one looks pretty easy to do. I don't intend on racing it but I do like to mash that pedal on the odd occasion :ROFLMAO:

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Just saw their vid on this last night. I was disappointed at the end when he said, If you're not at the track, it's not necessary :D I think peace-of-mind and the reduced wear and tear on the system as a whole is still worth the investment. Plus...if you're like me and new to modding, this one looks pretty easy to do. I don't intend on racing it but I do like to mash that pedal on the odd occasion :ROFLMAO:
It only really helps if your launching the car and getting a lot of wheel hop.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It only really helps if your launching the car and getting a lot of wheel hop.
The Subframe Bushing Inserts? False, those help all the time. The subframe bushings are huge and super soft. I, and most who have installed them, notice the back end of the car feels more stable and planted in every driving scenario, not just being aggressive.

And for the JXB Diff Bushing Insert, look at how much that thing moves at all time. Again, limiting excessive movement (but not going full racecar solid bushings) makes for a more controlled, pleasant driving experience at all times.

Steeda / Fenfab Subframe Bushing Inserts and the JXB Diff Bushing Insert should be the first mods done to these cars. No matter how you use it. And they are less than $400 in total. No brainer.

OP
C

Crash1311

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
Well I got the ID Speed Rear diff brace so I think I'm okay there