Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Red Lens Rear Reflector Bumper Replacements

Boyd

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I just installed a set of these. Both me and the Chickadee like em. Only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the shift from dim to bright when braking isn't a very big shift. Especially with those killer bright LEDs from the factory.

Wiring: I'm pretty comfortable with wiring. Even a schematics manual wouldn't hep with the ST because all the wiring back there is either black or black w/ white stripe. Here's how I did it on the '21:

I used a trim tool to pop out the stock reflector. Used some really long tie-wraps and some wire to fish the new wires up thru the bumper to the taillight.

There's 4 wires that need to be spliced in. 1 ground, then 1 power for each function: tail light, brake light, T/S light.

First, there's a single ground wire coming off each of the 3 lights back there and spliced together. So that identifies ground. This was the first connection I wired up so I could test the others as I worked along.

2nd, there's only 2 wires coming off the amber T/S bulb. One is the ground, the other is your 12vdc+. So that's power for T/S.

3rd, there's 3 wires coming off the led plug. All 3 are black w/ white stripe. One goes to the ground splice. The other 2 are power for a) tail light (dim), and b) brake light (bright). I'm cutting and splicing the wiring, so it was no big deal to cut one of the wires, temp connect one wire from the new light. Turn on your headlights... if it lights up, you found the power wire for the tail light. If it doesnt, you found the wire for the brake light.

I made my connections by cutting the individual ST wire and splicing in with solder and heatshrink. I dont trust those t-connectors or 3M spice-taps. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and there's no way I'd trust those plastic things.

Anyways, cheap mod that looks cool, brightens up the back end of the ST. Oh, and the turn signal function of the new LED is sequential. Chickadee is happy. :cool:

JScottS

Reactions
Just curious if anyone found out if these also still act as reflectors when the car is parked (not powered)? Thanks and thanks for the pictures and descriptions.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
They do not.

RAYJAY

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer limited
has any one hooked them up to the wiring for the towing harness ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I think if you do the Explorer will think you have a trailer hooked up.

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I have the Diode Dynamic trailer hitch light plugged directly into my trailer harness on my 2023 ST and it does not detect a trailer.
Now on my 2024 F-150 Lariat it will show a trailer connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAYJAY

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer limited
I have the Diode Dynamic trailer hitch light plugged directly into my trailer harness on my 2023 ST and it does not detect a trailer.
Now on my 2024 F-150 Lariat it will show a trailer connected.

that was what i was wondering ? on the ranger you needed a factory brake controller, and could not plug in any thing back there,

RAYJAY

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer limited
will be doping a test... ordered a set of lights and will tap int the trailer harness...

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
will be doping a test... ordered a set of lights and will tap int the trailer harness...
Keep us informed what you find. Hopefully it works for you.

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I was successful wiring as per the photos. However, no sequential turns, just regular. I have changed my turns to be associated with the red brake lights though, so maybe this is the cause. I'm not mad. I like the flash anyways.

Jetiemann

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I would rather have these lights be additional reverse lights or both with new dual LED technology. Anyone else?

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I would rather have these lights be additional reverse lights or both with new dual LED technology. Anyone else?
This is a great idea. We have some smart folks on this forum, and I'm sure someone can make em!

Bebbeb77

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Hello All

Attachments

Explorer ST Posts