Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Review: Thermal R&D 3" Catback

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST
A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to the Thermal R&D 3" Catback system to give my ST the sound it deserves. The stock exhaust felt underwhelming, likely because of government noise regulations, and as someone who’s owned high-performance cars, I really missed that powerful, aggressive tone.

After the installation, the difference was unmistakable. The car feels alive, with a fantastic cold start and a deep rumble on command—plus, no cabin drone, which is a huge plus. I’d rate it 5 out of 5 for sound and look.

That said, I might be getting a little more practical. My ST is my daily driver and family car, and there are times—like driving through the neighborhood at night or taking the family on trips—when the sound is a bit much. I’m wondering if a 2.5" version might have been quieter under normal conditions and only gone aggressive under wide-open throttle. I really appreciate the adjustable exhaust in my Corvette C7, where I can select the exhaust note with different driving modes, and even the stock sound of my RAM TRX is aggressive without being overwhelming inside the cabin.

Knowing what I know now, would I buy it again? Maybe. If a 2.5" offered a quieter sound in everyday driving with more roar on demand, I’d probably go that route. But for pure sound quality and presence, the 3" is still a great choice—just maybe more so if you’re less concerned about keeping things family-friendly.

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
You’re full of good writeups! I’m sure it will be very helpful to some people.