Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rotors

rmvancleaf

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
2023 Explorer ST with 15k and front rotors are bluing and cannot be resurfaced. Is this usual at this mileage for this type of vehicle?

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
2023 Explorer ST with 15k and front rotors are bluing and cannot be resurfaced. Is this usual at this mileage for this type of vehicle?
It's all about driving style. Any rotors can become warped if you brake late, or ride the brakes a lot. I've seen people on the groups go through rotors every 10k miles because of their driving style. Not anything particularly abnormal for any vehicle. Welcome to the forum.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah 15k is low but depends on a lot. My wife can’t get over 25k while I go over 50k

Blueing is a sign you are working them hard and getting them good and hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I generally go through tires and brake parts in about 1/2 the mileage. On my 392 Charger I never rotated the tires and they were all still evenly worn. If the rotors on your explorer can't be turned, it's either because they are at or below minimum thickness and turning them would bring them below that minimum thickness.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I generally go through tires and brake parts in about 1/2 the mileage. On my 392 Charger I never rotated the tires and they were all still evenly worn. If the rotors on your explorer can't be turned, it's either because they are at or below minimum thickness and turning them would bring them below that minimum thickness.
Not many rotors these days worth turning. Minimum mass for fuel economy so they keep them thin. Last set I could cut was 3500hd business truck 20 plus years ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
R

rmvancleaf

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. All my previous vehicles had more than 2x the mileage before having brakes/rotors replaced/resurfaced. Driving style hasn’t changed (not heavy on brakes or ride them). I had someone else look and the rotors and they are smooth and perfect for the mileage. The garage/dealership I took it to was just trying to get $$ out of me. Smh

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The street pack is the longest lasting, best performing OE brake system I have ever had. I bought rotors and another set of OE pads at 50k thinking a change was coming soon. It didn't happen until 80k miles and to my surprise, there was probably enough pad for anther 20k miles--this with about 50:50 highway and city driving.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
No, seriously. If you drive normally and not a lot of city driving you should be able to go 80k - 100k miles.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
The street pack is the longest lasting, best performing OE brake system I have ever had. I bought rotors and another set of OE pads at 50k thinking a change was coming soon. It didn't happen until 80k miles and to my surprise, there was probably enough pad for anther 20k miles--this with about 50:50 highway and city driving.
The stock system performs really well for OEM, 2-piston brakes, I was really impressed during the ST Experience.

Explorer ST Posts