Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Newbie here,my first post. Just got my CPO ST from my Ford dealer and I have a question about what they do to correct this. Do they add another bolt so there are two when you look from the rear or do they just replace the one bolt? They gave me certification that it was done, but I’m only seeing one bolt. So I’m confused.
Your not the only one confused by their ambiguous TSB instructions. So at the start the TSB instructions were that ONLY the PIU's were getting a replacement bolt. All affected RETAIL vehicles would get the new software programming that auto activates the parking brake when the transmission is placed into PARK.

I thought this was just a temp solution until they had enough production of the new stronger bolts.

But of course not, many RETAIL vehicles are not eligible for the bolt replacement we are stuck with software auto activation of the parking brake. Quite frankly its just lazy engineering and a cheap way of mitigating the engineering flaw.

I asked my dealer if Im ever getting a new bolt and rid of this software, I was told never!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
The software may be overcome in FORskn, but for the bolt?
If you want a stronger one and are actually concerned, you should replace it yourself.
(Should FORD be the one footing the bill? You bet. Will they? doubtful)

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...me-duty-rear-motor-mount-bolt-set-explorer-st

ps, I always park with my brake on, no matter what vehicle I drive. All the car's weight on the parking internal on the transmission? It's not a manual shift, lol!
I know people who park on hills and dont use brakes, too many have bent shift selector levers trying to get out of park haha

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I fully agree with the Parking Brake application on a hill. Its a must for me too.

My issue is poor engineering shouldnt result in an added pain point for the customer.

The vehicle already has sensors in it to display in the DIC the incline of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is parked on any type of incline where the Parking Brake should be applied then I fully support AUTO application of the Parking Brake but when Im parking on a flat service in my garage, or shopping mall lot its simply lazy software engineering to apply the Parking Brake all because of a poor supplier part. Give me the bolt and let me decide when the parking brake goes on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Your not the only one confused by their ambiguous TSB instructions. So at the start the TSB instructions were that ONLY the PIU's were getting a replacement bolt. All affected RETAIL vehicles would get the new software programming that auto activates the parking brake when the transmission is placed into PARK.

I thought this was just a temp solution until they had enough production of the new stronger bolts.

But of course not, many RETAIL vehicles are not eligible for the bolt replacement we are stuck with software auto activation of the parking brake. Quite frankly its just lazy engineering and a cheap way of mitigating the engineering flaw.

I asked my dealer if Im ever getting a new bolt and rid of this software, I was told never!
I guess I will call the dealer and see what they say and keep researching.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I fully agree with the Parking Brake application on a hill. Its a must for me too.

My issue is poor engineering shouldnt result in an added pain point for the customer.

The vehicle already has sensors in it to display in the DIC the incline of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is parked on any type of incline where the Parking Brake should be applied then I fully support AUTO application of the Parking Brake but when Im parking on a flat service in my garage, or shopping mall lot its simply lazy software engineering to apply the Parking Brake all because of a poor supplier part. Give me the bolt and let me decide when the parking brake goes on.
100%, no disagreement here.

Ford, however, is not willing to risk lawsuits on sensors that can be faulty.

Drsobczakst

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My Audi S4 also did the auto brake in Park.... You cant even change the rear brakes without using a scan tool to put the stupid thing in service mode!

As for Hill braking, I always put my foot on the brake, put the car in N, apply parking brake, let my foot of the brake so the weight of the car is off the drive train and 100% on the braking system and then put it in P. My ST had all the bolts replaces to be "blue certified" by Ford before I bought it used. If anything breaks now, the certifying dealership has to flip the bill for the next 5 years or 100K miles no matter what.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Just had this newer recall done. They drill out the bolt holes and put in larger bolts and for some of the bolts they get reinforced sleeves added as well. Got it back to do the oil change and after so many posts about the drive shafts I looked under and sure enough th passenger front was torn open and the entire suspension was covered in grease. Dealer said they didn't see anything while doing the other work. Then realized he meant to tell me that they only checked the rear end with the work they were doing and i'd have to bring it back after I sent him a picture. Maybe this will be last time for a while...lol.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Well, I feel pretty fortunate cause the dealer got me taken care of today. Got it in same day and replaced both front axles. 40k and both axles…what a trip.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
As for Hill braking, I always put my foot on the brake, put the car in N, apply parking brake, let my foot of the brake so the weight of the car is off the drive train and 100% on the braking system and then put it in P.
This is the way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got word back from the dealer that the gasket on the differential failed. Asked if they had needed to remove or replace the differential cover during the recall and was told no. So they’re at a loss for why it failed but that it did. I think that cover had been removed and the technician either left the old gasket in place or replaced it but in either case didn’t torque the bolts to spec and they’re just not owning up to it. I’ll get the vehicle back in a couple of days and the first thing after checking for any weeps will be to check the bolts to make sure they are at the proper torque.
Quick follow up. After having a period of time where things looked back to normal and no leaks from the rear differential, I took the ST on a trip involving long stretches of highway driving and an apparent leak reappeared. Took it in and asked them to look at it again and it turns out the somehow during the various service done on it, the rear differential vent hose either was detached or not fastened properly. So around town or short trip on the highway didn’t heat up the fluid enough to use the vent but long term highway driving did. It has been fixed and is back to no leaks after doing testing. Did not expect that nor did I know that there was a vent hose on the rear differential.

daynzy

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Newbie here. How concerning is this crack? Being told by a local dealer that this is fine and that another dealer that did the recall recently must have cracked it replacing the old bushing.
1724780945235.png

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Its “fine” until it isn’t. It may last a lifetime or a short time, bur either way you're gonna pay.

Its likely ok, just something to watch. There’s not a terrible amount of stress there, but its cracked so ANY stress will concentrate there.