Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Smell during WOT, I’m concerned…

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Apologies if this is a rehash of an old thread.. I read all I could before deciding to post a new thread.

I bought a 2022 Explorer ST with 19k miles. The thing checked all the boxes and was one owner and gave zero red flags.

until I really got on it and got a burning smell…

So I did my research.
Burn off? Doubt it at 19k.
Oil? No oil leak and entire induction system is dry. (Filter was also damn near new and white with zero residue)

So what am I missing?
The smell only happens when WOT for more than 15-20 seconds and then goes away.
smell is not rotten as I’ve read some experience and doesn’t seem to be burn off but please someone tell me if I’m wrong.

My main question(s) are has anyone else experienced or know what this could be?

And if not, any recommendations on where I should start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!

BR_ST84

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Its the smell of freedom my friend. Just the turbos self cleaning or whatever you'd like to call it. I have 7000 on mine and have had the smell sense 5miles.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
I would think normal but keep an eye on it.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I
Apologies if this is a rehash of an old thread.. I read all I could before deciding to post a new thread.

I bought a 2022 Explorer ST with 19k miles. The thing checked all the boxes and was one owner and gave zero red flags.

until I really got on it and got a burning smell…

So I did my research.
Burn off? Doubt it at 19k.
Oil? No oil leak and entire induction system is dry. (Filter was also damn near new and white with zero residue)

So what am I missing?
The smell only happens when WOT for more than 15-20 seconds and then goes away.
smell is not rotten as I’ve read some experience and doesn’t seem to be burn off but please someone tell me if I’m wrong.

My main question(s) are has anyone else experienced or know what this could be?

And if not, any recommendations on where I should start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!
I have experienced this from day one and noy have 44k miles on the ST. Just think that some of the unburned fuel from during WOT from the exhaust is being drafted into the cabin. I have smelled this many times from cars that jump on it in front of me and can smell their WOT exhaust.

Last edited:

Drsobczakst

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Im going to agree with the others here on this one. Yours is much like mine, 21' with 21K on it meaning the last person almost never drove the dang thing. chances are, you are heating elements within the drivetrain to temps it hasn't seen in a while and burning off carbon and other build up.

Here is what I recommend -
1. always ensure you have run the thing for 30ish mins before doing WOT pulls
2. put a full tank of 91 or 93 (whatever is premium in your area) run it till she is empty and then do it again before putting anything else in the tank. This is not for power reasons, higher octane will allow for higher sustainability when it comes to combustion and its just a safe bet while you are beating on your motor and trying to burn all this crap off. long story short, the higher the octane the less likely you are to have pre-detonation in the cylinders also known as Knock.
4. have someone follow you and record you do a pull to see if there is any "smoke" coming from the ST.
5. do a few 75-80mph cruises on the highway for a min of 30 mins to help really burn off any buildup that you can. NOW, I'm not telling you to nor do i suggest your break the local speed law so go down to Mexico for this part of the trip.
6. get a catch can.... every turbo motor should have one and the ecoboosts are def on the list for needing it in the long run.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Most likely
When your foot planted to the floor
The ac compressor is off and recirculation opens and let's in fresh air
Fan still runs at whatever setting it was on
So the heat smell comes in the cabin
Until you throttle back , then ac comes back up, and you may or may not have to push recirculation button to stop the fresh hot air
All ford's have done this since late 80s
But these vehicles run much hotter exhaust Temps and the cats are literally right there closer to the cabin fresh air. As well as 2 hot turbos
Engine compartment is tighter in free space
It's normal
Try getting on it at say 75% throttle

OP
Sir Wafflefries
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Appreciate all the insight everyone.

I had a focus ST full stage 2 and never experienced this, but the logic seems pretty sound so I’ll stop hyperventilating lol.

@drsob - we have 92 octane so I only run that.

Sounds like I just need to drive faster (we have some stretches up here where I can legally go 75-80) and of course start bolting on upgrades.That always seems to do the trick

Here’s to the smell of freedom!

Thanks again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I still get the "running your heater for the first time this year" smell when I get on the throttle.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I still get the "running your heater for the first time this year" smell when I get on the throttle.
My previous edge did it. Very noticeable
My 22 f150..not so much, but you notice ac vent Temps warning up. If it's a long pull at wot

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
My 2013 Explorer did it and my 24 does it as well.

Explorer ST Posts