Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SSM 52484 Keypad time out

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Just saw this. Mine has always timed out at exactly five days. I am going to check with the dealer.

TSB Number:SSM 52484NHTSA Number:10254143TSB Date:April 25, 2024Date Added to File:May 3, 2024Failing Component:Unknown Or OtherSummary:Some 2020-2022 explorer vehicles may exhibit keyless entry keypad inoperative and/or does not illuminate when any keypad button is pressed following ignition off timeout period with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in the body control module (bcm). This may be due to network wake up signal processing. To correct this condition, reprogram the bcm using the latest software level of the ford diagnosis and repair system (fdrs) located under the sw updates tab. Do not replace the keyless entry keypad. For claiming, use causal part 7820555 and applicable labor operations in section 10 of the service labor time standards (slts) manual.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #2
I have an appointment next Wednesday to have this done, along with the rear camera recall.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Mine almost every time wll not light up
Hence I can't put in a code.
I have pressed my thumb, palm etc it won't come on
Then days later it will
I thought my fingers were to beat up and it could nor detect the heat
Might need to look at this
Thznks

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Please let me know if this works. I had recently gone on trip for a week and when I came back the keypad would not come on. As we keep our key fob in the ST at all times, this could have been an issue. I started the vehicle with my phone and all was good after that

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #5
After exactly two weeks the modem shuts down, as explained in the manual, so your phone cannot be used then. So keeping the keypad working full time becomes even more important then.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #6
In the past the door keypad would stop working after five days. It has now been six days since the vehicle was last used since SSM 52484 was installed. I just checked and the keypad still works. So I think I can declare victory and assume it will now never shut off. SSM 52484 is something anyone with a 2020-2022 Explorer who uses the keypad should have performed.

A few weeks after I purchased my 2022 ST in December 2021, I received a couple surveys from Ford about what I thought of the ST. I told them my only complaint was the door keypad would stop working after five days. It looks like this SSM does not apply to 2023 and up models. Maybe they listened to my complaint.

I have had zero problems with my ST. Only been back to the dealer for axle bolt recall, rear camera recall, this SSM, and regular maintenance. I now have no complaints.

Your phone should never be completely relied on for access to your car. The modem can shut down for several reasons and will prevent use of your phone to access the vehicle. I have had it shut down for these three reasons. There may be others.

Two weeks of not starting the vehicle.
OTA update of the modem software.
Low battery charge state detected.

In each case Ford sent a message to my Ford Pass. Later when I would start the vehicle, the modem would restart and restore access from my phone. This is all more reason to have the keypad always available.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Appreciate this update as again my key fob has only been out of its place a few times since 2020. Really only taken out as the service dept required the key in their hands to perform warranty repairs. I will get with my dealer on this tsb. Is there any concern that this update could cause a parasitic drain on the battery in order to keep the keypad active?

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Ours does same thing
It's going to get the update at next oil change
Ours has the delete 4g lte

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #9
Appreciate this update as again my key fob has only been out of its place a few times since 2020. Really only taken out as the service dept required the key in their hands to perform warranty repairs. I will get with my dealer on this tsb. Is there any concern that this update could cause a parasitic drain on the battery in order to keep the keypad active?
There should be no additional drain. It's just another setting in an already-on computer.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #10
Ours does same thing
It's going to get the update at next oil change
Ours has the delete 4g lte
I thought that 4g lte wi-fi delete was just for the ability to create a wi-fi hotspot for people in your vehicle to use. Can you use Ford Pass to access your vehicle from your phone to lock/ unlock, start, etc.? Separately, can you connect to your home wi-fi?

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I thought that 4g lte wi-fi delete was just for the ability to create a wi-fi hotspot for people in your vehicle to use. Can you use Ford Pass to access your vehicle from your phone to lock/ unlock, start, etc.? Separately, can you connect to your home wi-fi?
Yes ford pass will let me lock or unlock
I double checked it last night from in the house, . Lights came on. Then locked and it took around 40 seconds then locked
Obviously there is a modem in car because it does not use radio waves from phone
Our 4glte delete stops the Hotspot and ota updates.. not sure why ota is not working
Even on ford owner site, it shows no connectivity for updates
I may buy tye module and install it
I have 4g in my f150 and it gets used

One of reasons I want keypad timeout fixed, is I don't live with my phone connected to my person
So being able to say. Go to range and lock fob in car, with phone. Having key pad work is sort of important

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #12
Yes ford pass will let me lock or unlock
I double checked it last night from in the house, . Lights came on. Then locked and it took around 40 seconds then locked
Obviously there is a modem in car because it does not use radio waves from phone
Our 4glte delete stops the Hotspot and ota updates.. not sure why ota is not working
Even on ford owner site, it shows no connectivity for updates
I may buy tye module and install it
I have 4g in my f150 and it gets used

One of reasons I want keypad timeout fixed, is I don't live with my phone connected to my person
So being able to say. Go to range and lock fob in car, with phone. Having key pad work is sort of important
I think the Ford website only shows connectivity if you have signed up for an AT&T account to use the hotspot with wi-fi connected devices. That delete feature is for 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot. 4G LTE(cellular) is still there to communicate with the modem, just no local wi-fi. With Sync 3 there are no OTA (cellular 4G LTE) updates. Over the air updates can only come through your home wi-fi, which I think you are saying you do not have connectivity to.

I don’t understand what you mean with 4g in your f150. Are you talking about wi-fi (not 4g)? If you pair your phone to the vehicle it does not use the vehicle 4g modem. It is just a Bluetooth connection for audio and control.

According to the keypad SSM it does not apply to your 2023 model. Evidently it already has the fix from the factory.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My 2021 f250 with 4 glte enabled. Sync 3 received ota, via cellular it's no longer with us
My 22 f150 has sync 4 , with the att data plan
But sync 4 also uses cell to do ota
Which so far are perfect
The explorer has sync3. But the hot spot 4g stuff was delete.
I have went through every setting and it will not highlight auto updates, which means it's not using the modem cell to ota.
Unlike the 21 f250 did.
Only difference is one had the wifi hitspot thing and att data. And one does not.
Yet the cell thing obviously works as ford pass does communicate with the explorer.
I have noticed location updates are very slow when car is moving or stops
Unlike the f150 which is almost real time