Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST ECO MODE

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I was driving back from lowes in along 70 mph zone and set it in ECO to see if it changed anything
in my 150 the eco makes it hold gears longer and build boost vice dropping gears on small hills
since we have no boost gauge, i was sort of listening and relaxing

anyway i came to the 2 nd four way stop , yes in the middle of a 70 mph zone. so when the car in front of me took off and i had to wait for 2 others the cross over, it left me with a about 1/8 mile of NOBODY
so i gently rolled out and then planted the GO pedal smoothly to the floor...I dont know what eco does...but it darn sure has no effect of 5 to 78 mph in a freaking blink.

WOW is the word of the day

Reactions
There's no difference on WOT between any of the drive modes power wise. Sport mode is only different in holding the gears longer.

Sport "feels" faster when driving normal because its lighter on the pedal and downshifts more often if needed but power wise, all drives make the same exact power in the same exact RPM.

OP
P

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
There's no difference on WOT between any of the drive modes power wise. Sport mode is only different in holding the gears longer.

Sport "feels" faster when driving normal because its lighter on the pedal and downshifts more often if needed but power wise, all drives make the same exact power in the same exact RPM.
thanks
i believe it
sport for me is a bit sensitive, on my lumber jack foot. i am slowly learning just how little pressure it takes to GO

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I was driving back from lowes in along 70 mph zone and set it in ECO to see if it changed anything
in my 150 the eco makes it hold gears longer and build boost vice dropping gears on small hills
since we have no boost gauge, i was sort of listening and relaxing

anyway i came to the 2 nd four way stop , yes in the middle of a 70 mph zone. so when the car in front of me took off and i had to wait for 2 others the cross over, it left me with a about 1/8 mile of NOBODY
so i gently rolled out and then planted the GO pedal smoothly to the floor...I dont know what eco does...but it darn sure has no effect of 5 to 78 mph in a freaking blink.

WOW is the word of the day
In EcoMode the power stays the exact same. It just shifts a lot more and a lot lazier pedal response. Other then that Sport Mode just holds gears longer and faster pedal response.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Seems to me it accelerates on cruise control a bit slower. Not much, but noticibly. Especially from a stop. But the power is there if you need it.

Last edited:

Jetiemann

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I run in eco mode quite often, especially while in cruise control because it will gradually catch up to the vehicle in front instead of racing to it just to hit the brakes.

OP
P

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
We had a bit over 80 mile round trip Saturday
12 were under 65.
The rest 75 on tollway with very few interuptuons of 75.
In eco..she finally in instant avg. Touched 19.7
And in the life average of the tank was reading 21.1
Cruise on
19.7 was trying to climb.
Thos was on 92 unleaded I put in the day before

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
As mentioned, the difference in modes is throttle response only, except Sport where the trans shift points up & down are modified. Aftermarket tunes can adjust all that as well. I want/set my vehicles for consistent, linear throttle response, so all modes are set to Snow/Slippery mode values.

OP
P

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
As mentioned, the difference in modes is throttle response only, except Sport where the trans shift points up & down are modified. Aftermarket tunes can adjust all that as well. I want/set my vehicles for consistent, linear throttle response, so all modes are set to Snow/Slippery mode values.
I drove my f150 in snow slippery mode for almost a week , winter before last. We had . For our area a blizzard
Black ice, slick spots etc..throttle felt very sluggish and lugging and held back.
It may or may not have made a difference on low traction areas as far as wheel spin etc
It did however on one bridge at a bit before 3am , did the ever so gentle slide, right but it straitened out when front wheels hit pavement that was not on bridge span.
This happened fast, I just held firm on wheel and let truck decide throttle.
Imo that mode seems to really watch what's going on

The road leading to our hog lease is almost 4 miles of clay, red dirt,leaves, pinestraw, decayed bits and very small gravel. It's so slick at times just afyer a rain,, even deer fall down crossing it.
I can select slippery and drive 20 mph or so and the truck works hard to keep you moving and not sliding.
It's good in that arena imo

Explorer ST Posts