Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST to Platinum Suspension Change

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone have a clue on how pricey it might be to convert the springs and struts from an ST to Platinum OEM set up? Not looking to change the stance, just softer ride

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Anyone have a clue on how pricey it might be to convert the springs and struts from an ST to Platinum OEM set up? Not looking to change the stance, just softer ride
Depends on where you get everything from. Shouldn’t be too pricey though. Honestly, I don’t think you’ll notice that much of a softer ride with the Platinums suspension, I just read a post where someone’s family owns both, and even he said it was barely noticeable.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
i just looked up ford springs and struts for the plat and ST and king ranch with 3.0
for 2023 my car they are the same part number
with police models and smaller engine ones having different part numbers
this was on ford parts website
the king ranch and plat come with 20"wheels vice the 21s we have
i am thinking the harsher ride is the 21 wheels with short sidewalls
i test drove a 23 king ranch with 3.0 and it was very different in ride

Reactions
As I also wanted a softer ride I tried a few different things with my suspension setup.
The Platinum Suspension is only about 10% softer so you wont notice a difference that is worth it in my opinion.

I tried changing the shocks only from the original ones to some softer ones from the RWD 2.3L base model with the blue sticker. I was not really satisfied.
What I noticed was that the ride was more comfortable but it was underdamped. After a bump the car would complete 2 full up and down motions until finally settled. That is not acceptable for me.

So my solution was to purchase the adjustable dampers from TEIN in Japan (VSALC-B1DS2) to be able to dial in the damping force.
Second mod I did was to get the less stiff sway bars from the base model. That increases comfort but causes more body roll in fast corners.
The last part of my solution was to get the H&R lift springs as they have a lower spring rate my stock springs.
!! Please note that I have the 400+ lb heavier PHEV version so the lift springs dont actually lift my vehicle and only reduce spring rate. Your mileage may vary. !!
As the spring rate is a major factor in ride quality, getting softer springs will do the most for you in terms reducing harshness.

I also switched to 18 inch wheels to increase the tire sidewall.

The end result for me was significantly improved ride quality especially around town with the obvious drawbacks of softer suspension on the backroads while driving fast.

For my driving profile it was worth the ~1500$ in parts for significantly improved comfort. As the shocks are adjustable you can set them to stiffer than factory if you want a stiffer ride on occasion.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
i just looked up ford springs and struts for the plat and ST and king ranch with 3.0
for 2023 my car they are the same part number
with police models and smaller engine ones having different part numbers
this was on ford parts website
the king ranch and plat come with 20"wheels vice the 21s we have
i am thinking the harsher ride is the 21 wheels with short sidewalls
i test drove a 23 king ranch with 3.0 and it was very different in ride
Incorrect. The ST shocks and struts are 8% firmer than other models except PIU’s which are rumored but not proven to be a hair firmer than the ST parts.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Must be a suffix
I thought they would be different
But kept coming up same pn
I could see different valving in struts and shocks, from a ride standpoint. But parts kept identifying same vehicle fitment

Ours rides good on highway, but surface streets here are brutal

Thank s

Last edited: