Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

struts/shocks

Reactions
200,000km and it's time for new front struts and rear shocks...what upgrades are available? anything?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
PIU shocks/struts are a good choice IMHO. Last I checked, they came down in price. On my second set of PIU rears and think would recommend them. Seems even vendors say Bilstein has no immediate plans for a set.

OP
sleekone
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
PIU shocks/struts are a good choice IMHO. Last I checked, they came down in price. On my second set of PIU rears and think would recommend them. Seems even vendors say Bilstein has no immediate plans for a set.
are they stiffer or what are the advantages of PIUs over stock STs?

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
200,000km and it's time for new front struts and rear shocks...what upgrades are available? anything?
It's still highly debated whether PIU struts/shocks are actually stiffer but I don't think it hurts to go with them. No other performance shocks or struts for our cars are available unfortunately.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
I installed PIU rear shocks in my '21 Platinum. They are not noticeable stiffer and they don't leak like the original oem shocks.
I would say they improved the ride.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Comparing new oem to new PIU would be the way to do check. My old shocks leaked (at 29K miles) and I could push the piston in easily by hand after removed. Not so with the new PIU shocks. Of course it rode much better with the new shocks...