Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 10" to 8" Screen (Downgrade) Upgrade

Reactions
Fitting and getting the APIM to report the correct resolution are two different things, the reason the Lincoln screen works is due Aviator and Explorer using the same hardware behind the scenes and being able to select the Aviator profile in Forscan.
Ah OK that makes sense. Thank you.

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Couldn't see where it might be posted in this thread but ...
Everyone seems to be gearing up on the Aviator screen. Wouldn't the 8" landscape screen work? I've seen it in the '23 Explorer. It was the ST Line though, not the ST. I would think the transition would be pretty easy given the availability of the physical parts already being used. The electronics may be a different story at getting it to communicate with the smaller screen in the different orientation but the '23 ST Line is doing it.
Thoughts?

Reactions
That was the original swap, both work the same however the 8" screen is 100% OEM because well it is. There are cosmetic issues with the Lincoln swap that some people do not want to deal with.

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Oh, ok. Is there a thread on the original swap?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Oh, ok. Is there a thread on the original swap?
I believe this is the thread on the 10" to 8" swap.

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I believe this is the thread on the 10" to 8" swap.
Ahh! I came in on the wrong page. Thanks! :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I have great appreciation for this thread, as the engineers/product designers who did this to us should be dragged out into the street and shot.
That said, Ford corrected their monumental f***up for the 2025.
My only question is will we be able to upgrade to the new horizontal layout from the 2025 in our older models?

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I have great appreciation for this thread, as the engineers/product designers who did this to us should be dragged out into the street and shot.
That said, Ford corrected their monumental f***up for the 2025.
My only question is will we be able to upgrade to the new horizontal layout from the 2025 in our older models?
Don't think so. If I understand it, the system software will be Google-powered instead of SYNC 3 or 4. Perhaps better said, that it won't be a simple hardware change. I'd have to think it's a hardware-software combination package. Now will someone be able to make things work? Never count out the human nature to make things the way we want them. The mother of all inventions.

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer ST
New 2024 ST. Don't like the 10 inch screen but can the 2024 ST with out the 401 upgrand give you the 8 inch screen work? "The standard models boast an 8-inch touchscreen display, Bluetooth® technology and smartphone integration through Apple CarPlay® and Android™ Auto".
I really want to swap out that dumb tall 10 inch screen.

rcflyer

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Decided that I was annoyed with the format of the 10" screen and how small the cameras and carplay was compared to the 8" screen. There's not a lot of instructions in this thread. I'll link a video to the disassembly from 4Dtech showing how to "upgrade". That makes it pretty clear on how to take everything apart and where the parts go.

List of Parts
  • 8" Sync Screen - I searched eBay for 2020-23 explorer screens until i found one that was an appropriate price and in good shape - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144466632995
  • Sync3 LVDS Video Harness - This is the cable connecting the APIM to the screen. The 10" screen cable won't work because of the orientation of the connector. You can shave out the spot in the 8" screen back, but I didn't want to do that. Ford part was on national back order, so I turned to amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R57XHQ
  • LB5Z-78042A82-AB Trim Bezel Insert $9.69
  • LB5Z-7813546-AC Utility Box $31.45
  • LB5Z-99018B40-CA Trim Bezel $91.20
  • LB5Z-78046B46-AAUtility Box Mat $51.40 (I have no idea why this stupid mat cost 51 bucks, but I was all in. lol)
  • A good attitude.
I followed the video for disassembly/reassembly and swapping out the vents. I also left the original cable in place because I didn't feel like fishing it out. Also, the new cable was a little bit long, so I had to coil it up behind the dash. Make sure you wrap it and tie it good so nothing rattles. That's pretty much it. Pictures follow. Also added some "features" with forscan to add full climate controls to the screen along with the heated seats and wheel.

The must do change in Forscan to get the screen size right: (Don't change x or --) 7D0-03-01 xxxx 00xx xx--

And before anyone asks-I am not selling my original parts.

View attachment 17646
View attachment 17648 View attachment 17649
View attachment 17650
View attachment 17651
This may be completely unrelated to the screen swap. I want to know how you got the climate and CarPlay to show up on the bottom as a menu item? I am running the latest Sync 3.4 23188 version and that may be why the difference. I have a 2021 ST and cannot figure this out. Also my seat and steering wheel icons don't show like yours.

djsparxlv

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I couldn't measure it with a tape. So just used the air volume knobs on both sides as a rough reference to see the difference.
View attachment 17701
The red squares are roughly the 10 inch camera window sizes. So it has indeed grown a good bit.
Same with the car play.

With that added cubby below the screen, I would say a worthy up(down)grade. I would definitely try this, provided I can get those parts from a salvage yard.

I found everything on eBay and for a little less money than the original poster spent.

djsparxlv

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Decided that I was annoyed with the format of the 10" screen and how small the cameras and carplay was compared to the 8" screen. There's not a lot of instructions in this thread. I'll link a video to the disassembly from 4Dtech showing how to "upgrade". That makes it pretty clear on how to take everything apart and where the parts go.

List of Parts
  • 8" Sync Screen - I searched eBay for 2020-23 explorer screens until i found one that was an appropriate price and in good shape - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144466632995
  • Sync3 LVDS Video Harness - This is the cable connecting the APIM to the screen. The 10" screen cable won't work because of the orientation of the connector. You can shave out the spot in the 8" screen back, but I didn't want to do that. Ford part was on national back order, so I turned to amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R57XHQ
  • LB5Z-78042A82-AB Trim Bezel Insert $9.69
  • LB5Z-7813546-AC Utility Box $31.45
  • LB5Z-99018B40-CA Trim Bezel $91.20
  • LB5Z-78046B46-AAUtility Box Mat $51.40 (I have no idea why this stupid mat cost 51 bucks, but I was all in. lol)
  • A good attitude.
I followed the video for disassembly/reassembly and swapping out the vents. I also left the original cable in place because I didn't feel like fishing it out. Also, the new cable was a little bit long, so I had to coil it up behind the dash. Make sure you wrap it and tie it good so nothing rattles. That's pretty much it. Pictures follow. Also added some "features" with forscan to add full climate controls to the screen along with the heated seats and wheel.

The must do change in Forscan to get the screen size right: (Don't change x or --) 7D0-03-01 xxxx 00xx xx--

And before anyone asks-I am not selling my original parts.

View attachment 17646
View attachment 17648 View attachment 17649
View attachment 17650
View attachment 17651
When I changed the code from 7D0-03-01 xxxx 0802 xx-- to 7D0-03-01 xxxx 0002 xx--, it had no effect on the screen going to horizontal mode. But when I changed it to 7D0-03-01 xxxx 0000 xx--, it changed the format to horizontal. I like it SO much better!

Attachments

djsparxlv

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This may be completely unrelated to the screen swap. I want to know how you got the climate and CarPlay to show up on the bottom as a menu item? I am running the latest Sync 3.4 23188 version and that may be why the difference. I have a 2021 ST and cannot figure this out. Also my seat and steering wheel icons don't show like yours.
Look at my ForScan code note above