Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thoughts on '25 ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
So far, checked several dealers in my area. They are showing up, but all seem to have package 400A, 401A seems to have gone away. Checked Ford.com, no option for any package but 400A. I know they changed up standard equipment, so, that really doesn't mean much, looks like everything is still there. I agree with other posters, the new wheels aren't as nice looking, but that's a personal preference. I don't like the looks of the eco friendly seat material. Again, personal preference. Looks like they dropped from a Class IV hitch to a Class III. Of course, they also lowered the maximum towing capacity, which we knew.

ST SUV Experience is taking waiting lists for 2025, and says ST & ST-Line. Don't see the '25 Edge ST on their page, but, the '25 Edge is not available yet, anyway. I do NOT see the ST SUV Experience on the ST-Line window stickers.

I wonder what the time difference is going to be on the ST vs. ST-Line on the Auto-X at the Experience. We had a couple very quick Edge STs. One guy got a mid 29, beat most of the Explorers in our class. His lap of record beat my lap of record. (To protect my ego, my best lap was a quarter second faster than his lap of record, and was "perfect") I know, as I discussed elsewhere on this site, sometimes less power on a course can give you a faster time. Sometimes it's just driver skill. Would be a shame if the ST-Lines consistantly beat the STs because the turns are too tight and the lower HP helps from getting in too hot. The smaller engine will also make the car a little lighter.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST 400a
There is only one package and almost everything in previous years that were options, are all standard right now.
Thats a good thing. There are only 4 Explore models and 4 colors as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
I'm biased to my 2022. Love the new infotainment area on the 2025 but i'm struggling to love the whole 2025 revision. It doesn't excite me like when i first layed eyes on the 2020s. Personally, based on where I am today with my personal opinions I don't find value in ridding myself on my current ST. Only value I find is trading in just to have a new car. Besides, I've put some good coin into my 2022 not willing to part ways as of now.

If i decide to leave ExST altogether I'd probably BMW X5 Comp edition

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
So far, checked several dealers in my area. They are showing up, but all seem to have package 400A, 401A seems to have gone away. Checked Ford.com, no option for any package but 400A. I know they changed up standard equipment, so, that really doesn't mean much, looks like everything is still there. I agree with other posters, the new wheels aren't as nice looking, but that's a personal preference. I don't like the looks of the eco friendly seat material. Again, personal preference. Looks like they dropped from a Class IV hitch to a Class III. Of course, they also lowered the maximum towing capacity, which we knew.

ST SUV Experience is taking waiting lists for 2025, and says ST & ST-Line. Don't see the '25 Edge ST on their page, but, the '25 Edge is not available yet, anyway. I do NOT see the ST SUV Experience on the ST-Line window stickers.

I wonder what the time difference is going to be on the ST vs. ST-Line on the Auto-X at the Experience. We had a couple very quick Edge STs. One guy got a mid 29, beat most of the Explorers in our class. His lap of record beat my lap of record. (To protect my ego, my best lap was a quarter second faster than his lap of record, and was "perfect") I know, as I discussed elsewhere on this site, sometimes less power on a course can give you a faster time. Sometimes it's just driver skill. Would be a shame if the ST-Lines consistantly beat the STs because the turns are too tight and the lower HP helps from getting in too hot. The smaller engine will also make the car a little lighter.
Well first off, the 401a is now standard, so it is the 400a now. Also, ST-Line owners won’t be able to go to the ST Experience. And no, the ST has all the engine, suspensiln upgrades and brake upgrades that’ll beat the ST-Line any day, short course or not.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I thought the edge was cancelled and 24 was the final year.

OP
cotoole
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Well first off, the 401a is now standard, so it is the 400a now. Also, ST-Line owners won’t be able to go to the ST Experience. And no, the ST has all the engine, suspensiln upgrades and brake upgrades that’ll beat the ST-Line any day, short course or not.
Yes, I know, a lot of features have been moved to standard. Got it, I kinda referred to that.

But, the ST SUV Experience says '25 ST-Line waitlist available. See the picture I posted. I honestly have no clue, no inside info, I just know Ford added that language to their website, so I take it to mean they plan to add them. I don't know if they plan to drop the ST package from the Edge, or just plan to make it 3 groups. Or, if it was a mistake.

As to ST beating the ST-Line any day, any course, I would not be so sure. Like I said, I watched a guy who spent our welcome dinner telling everyone at the table about his mods to his Edge, run an extremely competitive lap in a stock Edge. With less horsepower, he beat almost all the Explorers, there were 10 Explorers, 6 Edges, his overall time was 4th for the group on the lap of record. And from what I've read, an awful lot of the people who posted times here would have lost to him. His lap of record was 29.532. I've worked on Late Models and USAR stock cars, I'm well aware of the difference in engines, suspension, brakes and tires. And on some tracks I've seen the less powerful Late Model beat the USAR car on qualifying laps. The Late Models were lighter, and had wider tires. And a 150 HP detriment. When I worked on Late Models, we had 350-360 HP. The USAR cars were upwards of 500 HP. This was over 20 years ago, by the way. Not sure what Late Models are getting now. USAR doesn't exist anymore.

OP
cotoole
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I hadn't heard that. However, I just looked, seems you're right, it is discontinued in the U.S. That explains why Ford is apparently adding the ST-Line to the ST SUV Experience.

OP
cotoole
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
There is only one package and almost everything in previous years that were options, are all standard right now.
Thats a good thing. There are only 4 Explore models and 4 colors as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, nice to have them come with almost everything standard. I know most of the options are even standard on the Active model for '25.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
It was. Only the Nautilius continues.
Yes, I know, a lot of features have been moved to standard. Got it, I kinda referred to that.

But, the ST SUV Experience says '25 ST-Line waitlist available. See the picture I posted. I honestly have no clue, no inside info, I just know Ford added that language to their website, so I take it to mean they plan to add them. I don't know if they plan to drop the ST package from the Edge, or just plan to make it 3 groups. Or, if it was a mistake.

As to ST beating the ST-Line any day, any course, I would not be so sure. Like I said, I watched a guy who spent our welcome dinner telling everyone at the table about his mods to his Edge, run an extremely competitive lap in a stock Edge. With less horsepower, he beat almost all the Explorers, there were 10 Explorers, 6 Edges, his overall time was 4th for the group on the lap of record. And from what I've read, an awful lot of the people who posted times here would have lost to him. His lap of record was 29.532. I've worked on Late Models and USAR stock cars, I'm well aware of the difference in engines, suspension, brakes and tires. And on some tracks I've seen the less powerful Late Model beat the USAR car on qualifying laps. The Late Models were lighter, and had wider tires. And a 150 HP detriment. When I worked on Late Models, we had 350-360 HP. The USAR cars were upwards of 500 HP. This was over 20 years ago, by the way. Not sure what Late Models are getting now. USAR doesn't exist anymore.
It’s all about the driver, but with equal drivers the ST-Line doesn’t stand a chance. But yeah, put an experienced racer behind the wheel of a slower car, a novice will lose any day in the faster car.

OP
cotoole
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
I agree and disagree. Yes, an experienced racer can do things with inferior equipment. But, physics are physics. A superior suspension means a lot, but in some circumstances extra horsepower hurts. And horsepower to weight ratio also makes a difference. They have less horsepower, but less weight.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
I agree and disagree. Yes, an experienced racer can do things with inferior equipment. But, physics are physics. A superior suspension means a lot, but in some circumstances extra horsepower hurts. And horsepower to weight ratio also makes a difference. They have less horsepower, but less weight.
The ST-Line only weighs at most 300 pounds less, and with 100 less HP, a worse final drive ratio, worse suspension, worse wheel setup, and worse brake setup it doesn’t stand a chance with equal drivers.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
It was..they closed out production iirc June

Sad..it was the perfect vehicle for 5 and still had room for gear
And not huge.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
It was..they closed out production iirc June

Sad..it was the perfect vehicle for 5 and still had room for gear
And not huge.
As far as I know, production was stopped due to the strikes at the Canadian plant. Ford signed a deal saying they’d produce EVs there to stop the strike. Now, after EVs are showing their true colors and Ford stopped development on any new EVs, I think they settled to build more Super Duties there and the Nautilius. Very unfortunate that the demand was there but the union wasn’t.

OP
cotoole
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
I've read the Super Duty is being built there. Production on the Nautilus is moving to China where they will still be building the Edge as an Edge L for other markets.

I've only driven an Edge once, a loaner while my old Explorer was in the shop. It was nice, but, I would never own one. I like my Explorers to much. I tote around three grandchildren from time to time, and it's a great grocery getter when the third and sometimes second row gets folded down. I've owned a few Mustangs, but most of my life I've owned and driven pick up trucks. I am used to driving a big vehicle and like it.

The Explorer is big, comfortable, even with this suspension, and pretty damned tough in an accident. My 2011 survived 3 deer strikes over it's life, only 1 caused damage that resulted in a trip to the body shop. The first two I fixed in under 5 minutes in my driveway. My older XLT totaled an Outback that cut across the road in front of me and I drove away after the cop gave me permission. The Outback was dragged onto a rollback.

way2far

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
At least, with the optional equipment now being standard, the price tag is almost justifiable.

I've told people interested in mine to buy one used, like I did. As everyone knows, the Explorers (and Expeditions for sure) aren't holding value like other brands.

Reactions
With today's rates and high MF's for leased vehicles, I wouldnt justify it at all.

Practically what im paying for my then new Platinum would be what an ST Line is going for. Unless they're giving me huge money for mine, ill stick to my older interior.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
I've read the Super Duty is being built there. Production on the Nautilus is moving to China where they will still be building the Edge as an Edge L for other markets.

I've only driven an Edge once, a loaner while my old Explorer was in the shop. It was nice, but, I would never own one. I like my Explorers to much. I tote around three grandchildren from time to time, and it's a great grocery getter when the third and sometimes second row gets folded down. I've owned a few Mustangs, but most of my life I've owned and driven pick up trucks. I am used to driving a big vehicle and like it.

The Explorer is big, comfortable, even with this suspension, and pretty damned tough in an accident. My 2011 survived 3 deer strikes over its life, only 1 caused damage that resulted in a trip to the body shop. The first two I fixed in under 5 minutes in my driveway. My older XLT totaled an Outback that cut across the road in front of me and I drove away after the cop gave me permission. The Outback was dragged onto a rollback.
I actually always liked Expeditions before the performance-oriented SUVs came out. I loved the Edge ST…..that was before these Explorer STs came out. Choice was clear.

OP
cotoole
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
I usually went almost new. As soon as a vehicle gets titled and tagged, it loses several grand in value. Find one with low mileage that still has that new car smell and I'm happy. But, as I said elsewhere, I was going to buy a used Platinum, this probably my last purchase, and the dealer got me in the new ST for the same monthly payment. The ST SUV Experience pushed me to accept the extra couple years payments.

Reactions
I usually went almost new. As soon as a vehicle gets titled and tagged, it loses several grand in value. Find one with low mileage that still has that new car smell and I'm happy. But, as I said elsewhere, I was going to buy a used Platinum, this probably my last purchase, and the dealer got me in the new ST for the same monthly payment. The ST SUV Experience pushed me to accept the extra couple years payments.
Leased or buy? Just curious. 45k ST-Lines are going for $700~ for lease and above $900 for buy @ 72 with 0 OTD. Practically what 60k~ ST's were going for 4 years ago. Even the trade in equity arent great anymore either.

OP
cotoole
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
Bought. And with ESP and other extras, it's a bit over $1K. But, I put around 12K miles a year, including vacations, typically. I have no plans to trade in, or up, or sell. Dealer doesn't know. Shhhhhh. I've bought several used trucks, and cars and a new '18 Escape from them. They do the work on my cars that I don't do myself. My nephew used to be a service writer there. I use his friend, who still works there, exclusively for service, so I feel pretty comfortable with their honesty. He knows I used to do a lot of work on my own cars and still do some. Although, the plan is to not do a damned thing on this car.

Explorer ST Posts