Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Timberline Skid plate

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Mine arrived this morning
Put it on late this afternoon
And got it at the 150 price vice the new 250
Wholly cow
Did you get a set of M10X25 bolts and M10 U nuts with yours? Wanted to install last night and they seem to be nonexistent.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
received mine. old price. hardware intact. As soon as its not 95 degrees ill install it.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Did you get a set of M10X25 bolts and M10 U nuts with yours? Wanted to install last night and they seem to be nonexistent.
Yup all the hardware wrapped up in a bag

OP
Greywolf
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Thread Starter #65
Yup all the hardware wrapped up in a bag
I just received mine after a 4 month wait. Box was open and only thing inside was the plate. No hardware. Can anyone tell me what exact hardware I need to go buy to install this thing.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I just received mine after a 4 month wait. Box was open and only thing inside was the plate. No hardware. Can anyone tell me what exact hardware I need to go buy to install this thing.
I don't
But the website on accessories lists the parts included ...might be able to get the parts bag
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5018-EXP
Download the instructions...it has parts list

Ricky

Reactions
Contact Ford Performance at: frpp@ford.com with your order number. They will send them right out. I had the same thing happen and received the bolts 2 days later from Ford.

OP
Greywolf
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Thread Starter #68
OK so I bought it from CPC racing which in all honesty are being really great about it they wanted the delivery britches that showed the box was open and they’re going to try to get me the bolts. But I don’t feel like waiting.
Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the bolt the instructions only says M10 X 25. I need to know the pitch, and if they are hardened or not.
Thanks much

I don't
But the website on accessories lists the parts included ...might be able to get the parts bag
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5018-EXP
Download the instructions...it has parts list
Thanks much for this. And honestly that’s exactly what I did after making my request on this forum. The only thing I can’t tell is what is the length of each screw? I know that they are M10x25 but what length are they?

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
OK so I bought it from CPC racing which in all honesty are being really great about it they wanted the delivery britches that showed the box was open and they’re going to try to get me the bolts. But I don’t feel like waiting.
Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the bolt the instructions only says M10 X 25. I need to know the pitch, and if they are hardened or not.
Thanks much

Thanks much for this. And honestly that’s exactly what I did after making my request on this forum. The only thing I can’t tell is what is the length of each screw? I know that they are M10x25 but what length are they?
Iirc about an inch in length
But 3/4 would easily work
The 2 rear bolts self tap into the rear trans support brace.. it's scary..
I shoukd have tapped them
But after I cleaned the holes real good
Then went in with moderate effort

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Finally mine showed up at my local dealer yesterday. They almost lost it but luckily I went there to check on it and they found it (in area to be sent back-??)

BTW- what is the little fabric w/velcro and tie wraps for? It may become obvious when I install but thought I would ask if anyone knows. Thanks
EDIT: Never-mind... found the instruction sheet on line...

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I was going to say. It's in tye notes to wrap the trans line,
Other than that. Did it go one ok

OP
Greywolf
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Thread Starter #72
How did the 2 bolts that go under the trans crossmember bolt in? Did you need to tap the crossmember holes or were they already tapped?

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
How did the 2 bolts that go under the trans crossmember bolt in? Did you need to tap the crossmember holes or were they already tapped?
No..I cleaned the holes out real good
Then sprayed some wd40 up in them to help with friction
But any light oil would work
Then started bolt really slow and straight and then would go in 4 or so turns Then back it out and blow out hole, then did that until it was fully seated
The bolt will cut tye threads and it's gets really tight...like your going to break the bolt
Hindsight. Tapping it would be less concerning
But if you tske your time they eventually cut the threads

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yes, went fine. Two rear bolts went in fairly easy. The clip nuts were more difficult, very tight. Trans line already covered and out of the way. (2023) All good.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yes, went fine. Two rear bolts went in fairly easy. The clip nuts were more difficult, very tight. Trans line already covered and out of the way. (2023) All good.
I found the clip nut a royal pita as well
Got real tight,right before they were flush and torqued
I don't think they are going to vibrate l

OP
Greywolf
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Thread Starter #76
Wondering if this was because of the hardened version of the Loctite that was already on the screws. This type of Loctite softens up during the tightening process making it harder to tighten than rehardens again later on.
When I use bolts like this I wire wheel that crap off and then reapply Loctite in liquid form and torque to specs. clip nuts should not present more resistant than regular nuts.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Wondering if this was because of the hardened version of the Loctite that was already on the screws. This type of Loctite softens up during the tightening process making it harder to tighten than rehardens again later on.
When I use bolts like this I wire wheel that crap off and then reapply Loctite in liquid form and torque to specs. clip nuts should not present more resistant than regular nuts.
I agree that blue crap is tough