Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Towing

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
It appears my starter has given up and I have to get towed to a repair shop. Are there any specifics the tow person should know before moving this ST?
Do they have to drop the drive shaft or any other mechanical disengagements? How do you put it in neutral without the engine started?

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
You should be able to turn the switch to the on position and press the brake, put it in neutral.
Make sure you have it hauled on a flatbed truck and not a regular two truck that only lifts from the front or rear.
The tow operator “should” be familiar with how to load your vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Ditto
They flat bed it

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
You should be able to turn the switch to the on position and press the brake, put it in neutral.
Make sure you have it hauled on a flatbed truck and not a regular two truck that only lifts from the front or rear.
The tow operator “should” be familiar with how to load your vehicle.

I don’t think you can shift the transmission in Accesory mode.

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I don’t think you can shift the transmission in Accesory mode.
Hmmmm I can put mine in neutral when the doors are closed but as soon as I open the doors it switches to park.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The Uber slow short distance to go on flat bed truck
Put it in drive with eith accessory mode and they can winch it on the truck bed.
Easy as falling off a log

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the hits peeps!
It turns out the tow guy is an ex Ford tech and knew the vehicle.

On another note, this ST won't go into neutral without a certain procedure when the engine is not running.
The rotary shifter won't budge, even in accessory mode unless that procedure is performed.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Thanks for the hits peeps!
It turns out the tow guy is an ex Ford tech and knew the vehicle.

On another note, this ST won't go into neutral without a certain procedure when the engine is not running.
The rotary shifter won't budge, even in accessory mode unless that procedure is performed.
What procedure are you referring to?

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Hmmmm I can put mine in neutral when the doors are closed but as soon as I open the doors it switches to park.

I can’t put mine in Neutral with accessories on (engine is not on). When the car is on it’ll shift out of any gear if you don’t have your seatbelt on and open the door, when you have your seatbelt and open the door it’ll stay in the gear.

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I can’t put mine in Neutral with accessories on (engine is not on). When the car is on it’ll shift out of any gear if you don’t have your seatbelt on and open the door, when you have your seatbelt and open the door it’ll stay in the gear.
My bad, I was thinking of another vehicle. Long friggin day.
I just tried it on my ST and you are correct.
Engine has to be running with doors closed to kick into neutral.

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
What procedure are you referring to?
If your engine is not running, you have to follow this procedure:

Open the console glove compartment, clear all the stuff out, lift the felt pad out and you'll see a small hatch. (about 4" long and 1" wide)
There's a small slot you can stick a small screwdriver into to open the hatch. Inside there's a small, off white plastic lever. You can slide the key out of your fob or use a small screwdriver to stick in the slotted hole at the tip of that lever and pull it back. (like going from 1st to 2nd on a stick shift)
That releases the transmission so that the wheels are free.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
If your engine is not running, you have to follow this procedure:

Open the console glove compartment, clear all the stuff out, lift the felt pad out and you'll see a small hatch. (about 4" long and 1" wide)
There's a small slot you can stick a small screwdriver into to open the hatch. Inside there's a small, off white plastic lever. You can slide the key out of your fob or use a small screwdriver to stick in the slotted hole at the tip of that lever and pull it back. (like going from 1st to 2nd on a stick shift)
That releases the transmission so that the wheels are free.
Awesome didn’t know that!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine won’t shift if I’m not in the drivers seat. Notice it when I grab my mail. Takes a second or two after I sit back down before it lets me move the selector.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Mine won’t shift if I’m not in the drivers seat. Notice it when I grab my mail. Takes a second or two after I sit back down before it lets me move the selector.

There is no sensor in the driver seat. It’ll shift once you put your foot on the brake.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Temporary Neutral Mode What is Temporary Neutral Mode This mode keeps your vehicle in neutral (N) when you switch your vehicle off. Use this mode at an automatic car wash if you exit your vehicle or switch your vehicle off. Note: Do not tow your vehicle in this mode. Note: Automatic return to park (P) delays when your vehicle is in this mode. Temporary Neutral Mode Limitations Your vehicle may shift to park (P) after 30 minutes, or when the vehicle battery charge level is low. Prolonged use of this mode can cause the vehicle battery to run out of charge. Do not tow your vehicle in this mode. Failure to follow these instructions could result in vehicle damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. Entering Temporary Neutral Mode 1. Switch your vehicle on. 2. Bring your vehicle to a complete stop. 3. Press and hold the brake pedal. 4. Shit into neutral (N). Note: A instructional message appears. 5. Press the manual (M), or low (L) button. Note: A confirmation message appears when your vehicle enters the mode. 6. Release the brake pedal. Note: Your vehicle is free to roll. 7. Switch your vehicle off. Note: Do not tow your vehicle in this mode. Note: The neutral (N) indicator on the transmission selector may flash in this mode. Exiting Temporary Neutral Mode 1. Press the brake pedal. 2. Shift into park (P), or switch your vehicle on and shift into drive (D), or reverse (R).

For actual towing use the previously described procedure with the switch in the console.

Last edited:
OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
Temporary Neutral Mode What is Temporary Neutral Mode This mode keeps your vehicle in neutral (N) when you switch your vehicle off. Use this mode at an automatic car wash if you exit your vehicle or switch your vehicle off. Note: Do not tow your vehicle in this mode. Note: Automatic return to park (P) delays when your vehicle is in this mode. Temporary Neutral Mode Limitations Your vehicle may shift to park (P) after 30 minutes, or when the vehicle battery charge level is low. Prolonged use of this mode can cause the vehicle battery to run out of charge. Do not tow your vehicle in this mode. Failure to follow these instructions could result in vehicle damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. Entering Temporary Neutral Mode 1. Switch your vehicle on. 2. Bring your vehicle to a complete stop. 3. Press and hold the brake pedal. 4. Shit into neutral (N). Note: A instructional message appears. 5. Press the manual (M), or low (L) button. Note: A confirmation message appears when your vehicle enters the mode. 6. Release the brake pedal. Note: Your vehicle is free to roll. 7. Switch your vehicle off. Note: Do not tow your vehicle in this mode. Note: The neutral (N) indicator on the transmission selector may flash in this mode. Exiting Temporary Neutral Mode 1. Press the brake pedal. 2. Shift into park (P), or switch your vehicle on and shift into drive (D), or reverse (R).

For actual towing use the previously described procedure with the switch in the console.
Not understanding the instructions for "Temporary Neutral Mode". It's telling you to switch the vehicle on, press and hold the brake and then shift into neutral.
The problem is, you can't shift into neutral without the engine running unless you use the previous procedure. I also don't know how you switch your vehicle on 'and then' bring it to a complete stop? If your vehicle is in motion before you switch it on, you're already in neutral. Can you explain?

Explorer ST Posts