Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tramlining; weird issue.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
That doesn't mean it's bad. It is the well known metallic "tink" sound and the fix is to lube the axle splines. Early on, dealers were replacing the axle but that should not be the solution anymore.
Interesting. There's a Ford guy on YouTube, I think he does fleet work, who said he replaces them all the time. He did the same test the tech showed me.

Either way, I'm happy to take the new axle, just wish it had been installed correctly.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
Update; my car was at the dealer last week for a leaking intermediate shaft seal. They replaced the seal and did an alignment. When I picked it up, it's driving so, so much better. The skittishness/instability I mentioned before, seemingly identical to what others have posted, is gone. I'd say that issue is resolved 90% of not completely. This was my fourth alignment this year. Is it possible the first 3 were just bad alignments, and the tech got it right this time? Or, could the intermediate shaft issue have any effect on handling? The car feels like new again, no more unstable tracking across uneven road surfaces.

Prior to this the car felt like something was loose, bent or broken while driving. Anytime you'd hit a rough patch of road the steering seemed to "wobble." Any thoughts on what that may have been?

Also, follow-up question...is the intermediate shaft the same thing as the FADA part that was updated? I noted they did not perform the TSB for that part, simply replaced the seal.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks for posting this. I've been experiencing this same exact thing for a few months now. Lease up in two months. Was going to buy out the lease but now am leaning toward a 25. Why was the axle removed in the first place?
I’m having the same issue on my 21 ST since I bought it CPO in April. It’s been to the dealer twice now and they can’t find the issue. I had the shop foreman ride with me and he said it definitely not normal.

Fortunately the dealership has been great to work with, but if it still does the swaying issue I might trade it in for something else.

Last edited: