Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission / Driveline Vibration Issue 2022 Ford Explorer ST

Reactions
Quick update. Car has been at the dealer for a few weeks; they can't diagnose what's causing it. Anybody else have any luck?

TOFTS

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I am looking for any updates on this subject. 2022 ST, 31,500 miles on the clock.
I have the same vibration on startup at high idle and if I throttle up in park or neutral to the 1200 RPM range. I have also noticed when the engine is warm I can hear the engine missing when I hold the throttle around 1200 RPMS.
The vibration is evident when slowly accelerating from idle as it passes through the 1200-1500 RPM range and of course I feel it during deceleration.
I did take my vehicle in for service to try and resolve this issue and they did some type of update. When I too it in I did explain the 1200-1500 RPM issue but I wasn’t feeling the vibration much during deceleration BUT I did feel the vibration come and go when cruising at steady speeds with the cruise control on. Most noticeable with cruise set around 40 MPH but at other speeds as well.
The update they did did not improve the issue.

Any updates from those that have recently visited the dealership would be helpful.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I am looking for any updates on this subject. 2022 ST, 31,500 miles on the clock.
I have the same vibration on startup at high idle and if I throttle up in park or neutral to the 1200 RPM range. I have also noticed when the engine is warm I can hear the engine missing when I hold the throttle around 1200 RPMS.
The vibration is evident when slowly accelerating from idle as it passes through the 1200-1500 RPM range and of course I feel it during deceleration.
I did take my vehicle in for service to try and resolve this issue and they did some type of update. When I too it in I did explain the 1200-1500 RPM issue but I wasn’t feeling the vibration much during deceleration BUT I did feel the vibration come and go when cruising at steady speeds with the cruise control on. Most noticeable with cruise set around 40 MPH but at other speeds as well.

Any updates from those that have recently visited the dealership would be helpful.
Welcome to the forum

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Hi- I’m new to the group- just bought a ‘23 at the dealer and am having the same issue. I can’t recreate it every time, so they think I’m nuts. Anyone had any solution to this shudder/rattle sound? I’m in the same boat- coasting to decelerate or low RPM from a stop.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hi- I’m new to the group- just bought a ‘23 at the dealer and am having the same issue. I can’t recreate it every time, so they think I’m nuts. Anyone had any solution to this shudder/rattle sound? I’m in the same boat- coasting to decelerate or low RPM from a stop.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Alright, so this may not be the answer you are all looking for. Just got over 40k and didn't want to wait to do the trans. I see mixed things at 30k, 50k and figured i'd split the diff and probably keep her changed every 30k like I did on previous vehicles. Inexpensive insurance like frequent oil changes.

Instant difference for slow speed driving, deceleration, etc. Vibration gone...no more sputtering/stalling/hesitation that I was feeling when slowing down from 35'ish or just cruising at neighborhood speeds. Smooth as butter and an easy reason to stick to a regular service interval for myself. Hope this helps!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST

Hi,

I had this issue a few months back. The dealer replaced both flex pipes and the vibration went away. The technician said that when he put it on the hoist and kept the rpm steady at 1200rpm, one flex pipe was vibrating but he replaced both knowing the other would go bad as well. Hope this helps!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi,

I had this issue a few months back. The dealer replaced both flex pipes and the vibration went away. The technician said that when he put it on the hoist and kept the rpm steady at 1200rpm, one flex pipe was vibrating but he replaced both knowing the other would go bad as well. Hope this helps!
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Talked to my service guy today - trans flush would be about $280 out of my pocket. He ordered the flex pipes and is trying to get that covered under warranty, but hoping the trans flush fixes it.

Thanks again for the updates here; I'm salivating at the thought of the car going back to smooth.

Edit: it went in today for trans flush and flex pipes; will report back whether those things solve it.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Talked to my service guy today - trans flush would be about $280 out of my pocket. He ordered the flex pipes and is trying to get that covered under warranty, but hoping the trans flush fixes it.

Thanks again for the updates here; I'm salivating at the thought of the car going back to smooth.
There you go, price seems pretty even across the couple places I called before having it done.

Reactions
it went in today for trans flush and flex pipes; will report back whether those things solve it.
Update: my SA just called and let me know that the trans flush and flex pipes made the vibration 95% better. I asked if they tested it after each fix to determine what did it; he wasn't 100% sure, but thinks the tech was leaning towards the exhaust as the main contributor.

I pick it up tomorrow AM, will confirm it's fixed.

Edit: Picked it up, smooth as butter.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Update: my SA just called and let me know that the trans flush and flex pipes made the vibration 95% better. I asked if they tested it after each fix to determine what did it; he wasn't 100% sure, but thinks the tech was leaning towards the exhaust as the main contributor.

I pick it up tomorrow AM, will confirm it's fixed.
Congrats, hopefully the other 5% is just being super sensitive to vehicle driving since they're working on it and you don't even notice!