Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Level Check

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
Is this such a big deal? From what I've gathered, just drive the vehicle until the fluid gets to checking temp, put it on a lift, remove the dipstick bolt and check.
I couldn't find an auto shop that even wants to attempt doing this so I called Ford and they want $100 just to check fluid! Is it just me or is this ridiculous? If I had a lift,
I'd do it myself. What are your experiences with this?
Thanks!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How many miles do you have? A 2020 may be nearing time to do a drain and fill anyways. If you are still under warranty, you can tell them your shifting is harsh at times. A good dealer, like mine, will check the trans oil level and flash to the latest PCM. If out of warranty, most DIY types will put the car on 4 jackstands as level as possible, or ride up on ramps in the front and then jackstands in the rear. To me, $100 is not unreasonable for a dealer to do it.

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
How many miles do you have? A 2020 may be nearing time to do a drain and fill anyways. If you are still under warranty, you can tell them your shifting is harsh at times. A good dealer, like mine, will check the trans oil level and flash to the latest PCM. If out of warranty, most DIY types will put the car on 4 jackstands as level as possible, or ride up on ramps in the front and then jackstands in the rear. To me, $100 is not unreasonable for a dealer to do it.
I have 72K miles. I had already bought 13qts of Mercon ULV for a fluid change but wanted to check for level and quality of what's already in there first.
It would give me an idea of the condition of the tranny.
If they suggest a drain & fill or fluid exchange, I'll hand them the fluid. I bought the fluid because Ford told me they no longer replace with ULV but with LV.
I don't know why they want to circumvent the shop manual recommendation for ULV but I don't trust their judgement. As it is, the first service rep tried to tell me that it was a sealed unit and you can't check the fluid because it doesn't have a dipstick. These are the Ford service reps that service your $56K vehicle!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Personally, I would not be going to a dealer that says they use LV instead of ULV or says there is no dipstick! If you can do it yourself, that would be the best way for piece of mind, but not sure what your comfort level is.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Here is a good video: Trans fluid check. $100 is not bad for a dealership to check it. Just don't let them service it!

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Personally, I would not be going to a dealer that says they use LV instead of ULV or says there is no dipstick! If you can do it yourself, that would be the best way for piece of mind, but not sure what your comfort level is.
I have no quams mechanically. I've pulled engines, undressed and redressed them and everything in between.
Problem is location and lifts. Being in transition, I'm not in a place of my own and most of my tools are in storage.
Basically I'm at the mercy of other provisions. If you can't trust the so called pros, where the flock do you go?
Back some years, I enjoyed a shop that had a rent-a-bay but they've since terminated that notion for insurance reasons.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I have no quams mechanically. I've pulled engines, undressed and redressed them and everything in between.
Problem is location and lifts. Being in transition, I'm not in a place of my own and most of my tools are in storage.
Basically I'm at the mercy of other provisions. If you can't trust the so called pros, where the flock do you go?
Back some years, I enjoyed a shop that had a rent-a-bay but they've since terminated that notion for insurance reasons.
Find a good reputable transmission shop and specify you want ULV.

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Here is a good video: Trans fluid check. $100 is not bad for a dealership to check it. Just don't let them service it!
Thanks. I've seen vids on this procedure and still not convinced it's worth a $100 tab for shops with a lift but it is what it is. I just didn't want to get it checked by one shop and then get it serviced by another because that would incur more of a charge than just having one shop do both.

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Find a good reputable transmission shop and specify you want ULV.
I tried that too and all the transmission shops told me they just rebuild, not service transmissions. I already have the ULV fluid, just looking for a place that knows what they're doing.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks. I've seen vids on this procedure and still not convinced it's worth a $100 tab for shops with a lift but it is what it is. I just didn't want to get it checked by one shop and then get it serviced by another because that would incur more of a charge than just having one shop do both.
In this day and time, nothing is cheap. Some dealers are charging a $200 diagnostic fee if your complaint isn't covered by warranty. WTF is that about??

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
In this day and time, nothing is cheap. Some dealers are charging a $200 diagnostic fee if your complaint isn't covered by warranty. WTF is that about??
Right?!?
A Ford dealer here wanted to do a diagnostic and charge me $170 to ascertain the factory code for the door lock.
I said, "Man! This is a feature that comes with the vehicle and you're going to charge me $170 to use it??"

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Right?!?
A Ford dealer here wanted to do a diagnostic and charge me $170 to ascertain the factory code for the door lock.
I said, "Man! This is a feature that comes with the vehicle and you're going to charge me $170 to use it??"
For the door code on the driver's door? I hope you found the free way to do it. There's a youtube video.

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
For the door code on the driver's door? I hope you found the free way to do it. There's a youtube video.
Hadn't seen the vid but I heard it's behind the fuse box. Haven't had the chance to pull the box off yet.

Stone - ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If anyone has any tricks or tips please post. I dropped that darn dipstick between the transmission and the cooler 40 times...
Trying to get the fluid covered dipstick in only using 2 fingers (no thumb) was almost impossible. I finally put it in the cover, taped a small stick to it and easily was able to put it in place. It was cold at the time because I let the fluid drain overnight after removing the pan. I drained out 7 quarts and 12 oz including the filter. It overflowed when I put the same amount back in with the PPE aluminum pan installed. Still need to check the level properly.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If anyone has any tricks or tips please post. I dropped that darn dipstick between the transmission and the cooler 40 times...
Trying to get the fluid covered dipstick in only using 2 fingers (no thumb) was almost impossible. I finally put it in the cover, taped a small stick to it and easily was able to put it in place. It was cold at the time because I let the fluid drain overnight after removing the pan. I drained out 7 quarts and 12 oz including the filter. It overflowed when I put the same amount back in with the PPE aluminum pan installed. Still need to check the level properly.
Yeah the dipstick sucks as does burning your hand on the exhaust. Some wear gloves but my fingers are challenged sometimes. After my first level check I now use a fluid extractor when everything is cold. Just measure out and in.

Strange about the pan. I have the ppe pan and it took a couple extra qts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
So, I had Koons Ford drain and fill with ULV that I supplied. They spotted a leak and wanted $191 to diagnose. Freakin' pan gasket was $113? I can't find it for more than $60 without a discount. Most places are at $40. Total was $559.
The leak turned out to be the trans oil cooler.
Now they want $843 to replace that. I can get the part for $121 and I saw a guy on youtube replace one in under a half hour. Trust me, somebody is else gonna do this job!

Last edited:

JMCD915

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hi All,
Is this such a big deal? From what I've gathered, just drive the vehicle until the fluid gets to checking temp, put it on a lift, remove the dipstick bolt and check.
I couldn't find an auto shop that even wants to attempt doing this so I called Ford and they want $100 just to check fluid! Is it just me or is this ridiculous? If I had a lift,
I'd do it myself. What are your experiences with this?
Thanks!
i did this today on my 2020, and i can tell you without a lift it was a bitch, the bolt cover on the dipstick was on so F'in tight i had to use a pry bar for leverage. i also had to drop part of the exhaust.

OP
Suprawill1

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
i did this today on my 2020, and i can tell you without a lift it was a bitch, the bolt cover on the dipstick was on so F'in tight i had to use a pry bar for leverage. i also had to drop part of the exhaust.
Oh ya, it's a lift job for sure! Is your exhaust modded?

Asd434

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I tried to do it cold, just to see how hard it would be. I had to use a jack handle just to break the nut free. I struggled just to get the dip stick & bolt back in, with my fingers cramping up. I can't even imagine doing it hot!

Explorer ST Posts