Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission proper fluid level

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Anyone have a picture of proper fluid level on the dipstick or can confirm between 2 and 3 is proper transmission fluid level, my ride is in for service and just want to make sure the shop knows proper level for the fluid. Yes I know its been discussed (Im finding mixed answers) Im just trying to get a real quick answer so I can confirm with them cuz its going up on the lift in a few, thanks in advance!

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Ok Ill let them know, thanks guys!

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Looks like its at the minimum, should I have them top it off? Trans level.jpg

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Looks like its at the minimum, should I have them top it off? View attachment 25477
How many miles on that fluid?
Looks like it can use a fluid and filter change also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
How many miles on that fluid?
Looks like it can use a fluid and filter change also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had it done at 58k, it has 79k on it currently, my tech did mention it has color to it still and looked ok.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Had it done at 58k, it has 79k on it currently, my tech did mention it has color to it still and looked ok.
Just an fyi, many of us change trans fluid every 30k as cheap insurance. Burnt or dirty fluid can really screw up a transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Just an fyi, many of us change trans fluid every 30k as cheap insurance. Burnt or dirty fluid can really screw up a transmission.

Yeah, I bought it with 21k on it about 2 years ago. then did the 1st trans fluid and filter at 58k so in about 10k more miles ill be doing it again, good looking out though I appreciate it!

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10

Do you think the residual black debris is because its dirty fluid? Should I change it a little early this go around?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Do you think the residual black debris is because its dirty fluid? Should I change it a little early this go around?
Doubt it. there is black residue above the oil line. Probably just a little bit dirty dip stick. It's not easy to extract that dip stick cleanly so contact with neighboring surfaces can soil the dip stick. That oil does have a little red hue to it so I don't think it's that spent. At 60k mine was completely brown.

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Doubt it. there is black residue above the oil line. Probably just a little bit dirty dip stick. It's not easy to extract that dip stick cleanly so contact with neighboring surfaces can soil the dip stick. That oil does have a little red hue to it so I don't think it's that spent. At 60k mine was completely brown.
Yeah same when I changed it the 1st time at 58k it was brown as well, how about that level? is that ok or should I think about adding more in there? I can put a little more in next fluid change I guess.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah same when I changed it the 1st time at 58k it was brown as well, how about that level? is that ok or should I think about adding more in there? I can put a little more in next fluid change I guess.
Well by the book, it's at the right level (on the lower limit anyways). But last time I filled, I put it to 3. I put it to 4.5 the first time but people recommend on the fuller side.

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Well by the book, it's at the right level (on the lower limit anyways). But last time I filled, I put it to 3. I put it to 4.5 the first time but people recommend on the fuller side.
Cool, Im thinking ill go around 3 as well next fluid change too, thanks for the info I appreciate it!