Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission shifting hard, slipping, burnt fluid, looking for some insight

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have a 2020 ST that I suspect needs a rebuild if not replacement at this point. This is what led up to now:

Drive interstate traffic in Sport mode, made it work but would certainly not consider it "beating on it". The transmission missed a gear, I let out of it, it found its gear and I proceeded to drive it home on a Friday. Light weekend driving with no symptoms, the following week I leave out of town for work and begin noticing some mildly hard shifts occasionally. Start doing research into the hard shift issue, think it may need to run through the TCM accelerated break in procedure again but I was in the middle of nowhere so it'd have to wait. By the time the next Friday rolls around it's noticeably worse, I call the local dealer to take a look, they can't get me in for a week.

So I decide to limp it home, highway driving it seems to behave but I also notice my mileage drop by 5 mpg which makes me worried it began to slip. I pull into town, 8 minutes from home I have a very hard shift and hear metal on metal. I pull it over immediately and flat bed it home. For what it's worth, it drove onto the flat bed, reversed off, and pulled into my driveway.

Get home, purchase a 19mm flex head ratchet wrench and check fluid. Before I even get the dipstick out I can smell burnt fluid.

So that's where I'm at. Part of me wants to think I should pull it and go through it myself with new clutch packs. Part of me thinks the metal on metal sound may mean it's beyond rebuild and my time is better spent just replacing it. Part of me thinks I should try replacing fluid and see what happens. Any insight from you folks would be greatly appreciated.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Fluid first but not good signs. Double drop and fill. Excellent upgrade kit available on here if you go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What did the trans fluid look like? What was the level on it? Couldn't hurt to do a drain and fill at this point. I take it you don't have warranty, factory nor ESP? If you do, just let the dealer take care of it.