Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

True or not?

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have 295/40/22 Pilot AS4 and one has a nail which is causing a slooow leak. At Discount tire they said to leave it as if they patch it will not hold up due to where it is. I asked to buy one tire but they said being AWD will not be even with all tires and one being brand new and will mess up. Is this true or are they just wanting me to get all 4? Anyone ever have this happen? The three other tires are at a 7 so may need to replace in the next 6 months or so.

Reactions
Vehicle
(2) 2021 Explorer ST (White & Carbonized Grey)
If I were in your shoes, and the nail wasn't in the sidewall, I'd plug it myself and replace the tires when they're due. This has been my strategy for 30+ years and I've never had a plug fail, not even the stabby strips.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Depending on tire wear they’re right about replacing all of them.
If they won’t plug patch it that means it’s within an inch of the sidewall normally….go get a good plug kit and handle it yourself.

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Just gonna bite the bullet and get 4 new ones along with the warranty for three yrs. Going to have to do it regardless soo…I also will ost a go fund me link lol

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I've used this Tire Repair Kit more than once and it's worth having in your vehicle. I also carry this Tire Inflator (Case) in my vehicle. Beats pulling out the jack and changing the tire!

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I have 295/40/22 Pilot AS4 and one has a nail which is causing a slooow leak. At Discount tire they said to leave it as if they patch it will not hold up due to where it is. I asked to buy one tire but they said being AWD will not be even with all tires and one being brand new and will mess up. Is this true or are they just wanting me to get all 4? Anyone ever have this happen? The three other tires are at a 7 so may need to replace in the next 6 months or so.
They are actually right on that fact, and if they’re saying you can’t plug the tire and it looks like that to you your only option is to replace the tires.

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
In process of replacing all 4 as we speak…..as mentioned going to have to do it sooner than later

Attachments

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
There is a math problem

Last edited: