Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What Down pipes should i order?

OP
SparxX
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 FORD Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
Thanks Matt. I'm in Oregon where they plug in to the OBD port to check. A little concerned even with a 440 cel cat.
Thankfully here in Washington we dont smog anymore.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks Matt. I'm in Oregon where they plug in to the OBD port to check. A little concerned even with a 440 cel cat.
They plug in a scan where I am in TX…as long as everything is good with no CEL you’re fine. I’ve had SPD 400 cell cats in since 2020…no defoulers needed and zero issues. Just got a new inspection a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thanks UNBROKEN. Still a little nervous.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I'm in Texas and yearly inspection is largely just making sure all of your lights work and you have insurance with no CEL
And dec 31st no more wasting our time on a yearly inspection and 7.50
Then it's up to local cops to stop safety violations...now to get rid of front plates

But crazy cities like Dallas, Austin, San Antonio
Might go full Monty and do smog or obd tests...crazy

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thanks boatr. First thanks for your service. Still on the fence for me. Would love to "pull the plug" but, if no pass, no license.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
And dec 31st no more wasting our time on a yearly inspection and 7.50
Then it's up to local cops to stop safety violations...now to get rid of front plates

But crazy cities like Dallas, Austin, San Antonio
Might go full Monty and do smog or obd tests...crazy
That’s not the whole state though…we’ll still have annual inspections in Harris county. Others will too.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
The following counties will require emissions testing even after mandatory inspections end in 2025: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris and Montgomery counties; Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall and Tarrant counties; Travis and Williamson counties; and El Paso County

OP
SparxX
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 FORD Explorer ST
Thread Starter #28
They plug in a scan where I am in TX…as long as everything is good with no CEL you’re fine. I’ve had SPD 400 cell cats in since 2020…no defoulers needed and zero issues. Just got a new inspection a couple of weeks ago.
SPD it is, guess u gotta pay to play, and not ruffle feathers with EPA .

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
SPD it is, guess u gotta pay to play, and not ruffle feathers with EPA .
If you’re really worried both SPD and Stainless Works offer GESI cats as an option…nothing better on the market but at about double the cost.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The following counties will require emissions testing even after mandatory inspections end in 2025: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris and Montgomery counties; Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall and Tarrant counties; Travis and Williamson counties; and El Paso County
Yup...ask you self why? So glad we live out in the woods
Emissions is easy, but damm the windshield can be taped together
Like florida in 90s.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I have SPD DP's with a Thermal exhaust and I live in MA where they follow CA emissions and I got my sticker no problem.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I was talking to my ford parts guy this morning about tuners, cats and emissions
He said once in blue moon do they get one tuned with ford tuning load or others thst trip cel or emissions codes.
Even the new cats are working well
But. They have found less than best practices on installing them is usually the problem causer for emissions and cel lights
I would think , that with everything involved a quality tune and right installation, for road vehicles should not create emissions issues
FWIW

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
OK. Here's my next question. Down pipes or injectors and turbo up grades.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
OK. Here's my next question. Down pipes or injectors and turbo up grades.
Downpipes first…they’re good for an easy 20hp. I still don’t trust any of the aftermarket injectors…still too many people having them go bad and you have to pull the intake manifold to swap them.

SteveJ

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
In CA we only have to plug in our OBD2 port and have the CPU rat you out or not as long as no codes exist you will pass.

And yes, the 'tuners' will NOT tune out missing cats because they all want to be compliant with federal regulations.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Here in Md, they also have the OBD2 plugin for codes so as long as you're not throwing them, you're ok.
CVfab DPs here with the defoulers that came with them and no CELs here. I put them on when the Stage 5 turbos were installed.
Running the ZFG 93DMS tune, CVF cold pipe and IC and soon the S&B CAI. Stock fuel system and exhaust.