Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

When filling the tank up

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Hello all,

I've noticed on these last two fill ups I get the guesstimate on the dash on 275 miles to empty. I find it weird because it's usually in the 330s or 300s.

I know this isn't always accurate but I am trying to figure out why it was 275 both times out of no where.
I filled it all the way up to the point that the fuel went into the overflow drain.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It constantly recalculates…the real issue is overfilling it like you said you’re doing will trash the purge valve and you’ll be changing that soon if you continue.

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Hello all,

I've noticed on these last two fill ups I get the guesstimate on the dash on 275 miles to empty. I find it weird because it's usually in the 330s or 300s.

I know this isn't always accurate but I am trying to figure out why it was 275 both times out of no where.
I filled it all the way up to the point that the fuel went into the overflow drain.
It will never be consistent. Anything could have effected the range of the tank. Also, never fill the tank up, or continue to click the gas pump after it stops the first time, great way to make your Purge Valve fail on these cars.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #4
It constantly recalculates…the real issue is overfilling it like you said you’re doing will trash the purge valve and you’ll be changing that soon if you continue.
Okay. Good to know. This is the first time I've over filled it. Just found it bizarre that it was capped at 275 these last two times. Thanks

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #5
It will never be consistent. Anything could have affected the range of the tank. Also, never fill the tank up, or continue to click the gas pump after it stops the first time, great way to make your Purge Valve fail on these cars.
Good to know. Thank you! Won't do it again

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Your MPG calculator may have been lower than it was the last times you filled up. I notice mine does the same thing if I've been driving it hard and the MPG calculator is down around 17.2 MPG instead of 18.5 MPG.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #7
Hey guys, so as I said when I topped it off yesterday it showed 275 miles to empty. I've driven 41 miles and the estimated till empty has only moved 10 miles to 265. Is this a sync update or is this something that has to be calibrated from a dealer? I have a tune so I don't want to have to flash to stock. I deleted the average mile to gallon and everything. Nothing has changed.
Thanks for any input

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Hey guys, so as I said when I topped it off yesterday it showed 275 miles to empty. I've driven 41 miles and the estimated till empty has only moved 10 miles to 265. Is this a sync update or is this something that has to be calibrated from a dealer? I have a tune so I don't want to have to flash to stock. I deleted the average mile to gallon and everything. Nothing has changed.
Thanks for any input
No, it continues to update and recalculate based on your driving and gas mileage. It has nothing to do with a tune or Sync.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #9
Last question if your sync is not up to date and needs a new update can you do it with the tune on the car. Will it hurt the tune?

Reactions
Last question if your sync is not up to date and needs a new update can you do it with the tune on the car. Will it hurt the tune?
Yes you can update sync with a tune. I strongly recommend the download to usb stick method. The over the air updates through the menu and WiFi is hit or miss. You might get lucky and it works. You might get unlucky and it screws up bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for any input
As previously stated, it constantly recalculates. From what I see from my setup, it is based on the MPG. I've seen the estimated till empty range from 275 to 475 mi. In my case, it varies when I sit for a while with the engine running, using AC or heat. It is calculating bad mileage at that point because it's using gas but not logging any miles. I'll see the MPG go down and that will relate to the miles till empty. Those calculations for 'MTE' are always on an average basis just to give you an idea. It's never going to be precise.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm glad you brought that to surface. I always at least round off to the next dollar, sometimes more. I'll stop doing that.